What's the problem with it? Was it worth making the 5c?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I don't think the 5 is considered a failure and it was cancelled after a year. Why continue selling a product that has two-year-old specs when they can sell one with the previous I year's specs? I think the new 5c model (whatever it's called) will have 5s specs.
You have a point, to clarify, my comment was in relation to the plastic back. The 5 was not discontinued, at least the body wasn't.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You have a point, to clarify, my comment was in relation to the plastic back. The 5 was not discontinued, at least the body wasn't.
Apple doesn't sell the iPhone 5 anymore, so it was discontinued. The same specs are used in a phone with a plastic casing. The 5s looks similar to the 5, but it's a different phone with different hardware. You can easily tell them apart.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Apple doesn't sell the iPhone 5 anymore, so it was discontinued. The same specs are used in a phone with a plastic casing. The 5s looks similar to the 5, but it's a different phone with different hardware. You can easily tell them apart.
Again, I know what you are saying. Do you understand what I am saying? I'm saying that the 5 and 5s bodies are the same just like the 3G/3GS, 4/4S the 5c if the rumors are true will represent a sudden reversal in design that looks to me like a failure, perhaps they thought a plastic back would appeal to more people?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
so do you guys think they won't offer a $0 (with contract) iPhone this year? Or you think they'll make the 5S $0 with contract? Not sure I see either of those possibilities happening. they have to have something to fill that price range. If not the 5C, then what?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Again, I know what you are saying. Do you understand what I am saying? I'm saying that the 5 and 5s bodies are the same just like the 3G/3GS, 4/4S the 5c if the rumors are true will represent a sudden reversal in design that looks to me like a failure, perhaps they thought a plastic back would appeal to more people?
Yes, I understand that they look the same aside from the home button and the two of the three colors. I just disagree that canceling the 5c after one year would make it a failure. I think it should be cancelled so they can make a new model with old specs, but not that old.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Yes, I understand that they look the same aside from the home button and the two of the three colors. I just disagree that canceling the 5c after one year would make it a failure. I think it should be cancelled so they can make a new model with old specs, but not that old.
Got it. I just feel like abandoning the plastic back now could mean that either the 5c was a transition model to make a quick buck or a test to see if the masses would accept a slight decrease in quality materials. I still have an evolving opinion on this.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Agreed. Aluminum looks good, but the 3G/3GS were so damn comfortable to hold in comparison to everything else Apple has put out since then.
That's the kind of feedback Apple probably gets regularly, so maybe the rumors about discontinuing the 5c are related to the model and not necessarily to the materials used.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Regardless, canceling the 5c after just one year would be a failure. Do you think they just decided to go big? Surely they have been considering this for sometime and still decided to gamble with the 5c.
There's all sorts of marketing strategies. And we, as consumers, are not always privy to those strategies. For all we know, the 5c was planned for only one year of production. We get too caught up in Names, rather than in technology. Everyone awaits the iPhone 6. How many screen sizes? Will they keep the 5c and/or 5s. They'll offer the best in what their technology allows and what consumers demand. I think the 5c was an experiment of sorts. I don't think they expected to keep it in production for long. The 5s already surpasses it. Now we're looking for possibly two new models with even more new stuff. The 5c and the 5s may be blended to one 4" screen model offering the best or added features of both. Who knows? But a failure for one year of production? I doubt it. Not in the grand scheme of things. I'll be buying a 5c for my wife in March. It's a great phone, for now. But it's soon to be outdated. But not by much.

RBNetEngr

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 17, 2013
I just reviewed the specs for the iPhone 5C, and they aren't the same as the iPhone 5. In fact, the iPhone 5C has the same cellular radio specs as the iPhone 5S. They both support many more LTE channels than the iPhone 5 does, to work in more world markets.

Yes, it has the same A6 processor, and the same camera, but it has a better cellular radio.

iPhone 5:
http://support.apple.com/kb/sp655

iPhone 5C:
http://www.apple.com/iphone-5c/specs/

iPhone 5S:
http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/