What's up with the scrambled GPS locations?

TheDeafGuy

Bronze
Jan 25, 2009
The Maps app's GPS location says I'm 24 miles SE of my actual location. I have the 3Gs; I've tried three 3g iPhones and 2 Droid phones and their GPS are saying the same thing.
Every 10 minutes or so, it would switch back and forth from 24 miles to 1 mile from my location. Try it onyour phones and see if you have the same issue.

So what gives? Something wrong with our network or is the government scrambling our GPS signals? I smell a conspiracy.

Brian

TheDeafGuy

Bronze
Jan 25, 2009
Nobody has trouble with their GPS accuracy today? I guess it's just me and five other phones from both AT&T and Verizon, not enough to warrant somewhat of interest. The blue dot is still locating my phone a mile from me. Maybe I should try again tomorrow and see what happens.

I originally assumed it must be the GPS network having a glitch but no one else having issues is starting to worry me. I'll be sleeping with my tinfoil hat on tonight.

morth58

Bronze
Mar 17, 2008
sorry mine is dead on.

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Mine is good also. But I would not be suspired to have some glitches since the government will probably kill the accuracy for civilians for a short time when the major offensive in Afghanistan starts.

TheDeafGuy

Bronze
Jan 25, 2009
Mine is good also. But I would not be suspired to have some glitches since the government will probably kill the accuracy for civilians for a short time when the major offensive in Afghanistan starts.
Yeah, that's what I heard at work except no one was really sure. I just got home and found the GPS to be dead on. Weird... I think it's my company that's doing the scrambling but I'll try it tomorrow and see if it happens again. I'd tell ya what I do for a living but I don't want to be held liable for exposing info over the internet so I'm gonna keep quiet.

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
My iPhone GPS is always dead-on, usually within 10-20 feet when outside.

TheDeafGuy

Bronze
Jan 25, 2009
It's pretty much dead on in the parking lot but as soon as I enter the hangar, I watched the blue dot move a mile from me. Okay, it's the company trying to protect itself from terrorists using the GPS network to their advantage. Go figure. I'll just turn off location services and use it only when I need to. I don't want black helicopters following me either.

TheDeafGuy

Bronze
Jan 25, 2009
LOL thanks, Naps and Europa for the pics. Right click & save.

Here's a hint on what I do: we build those birds in the first pic. :eek:k:eek:k