What's up with this icon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheDeafGuy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. TheDeafGuy

TheDeafGuy Member
    Bronze

What's this icon in the status bar next to the Verizon, in its place where the 3G icon is? What does it mean?

[​IMG]

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

GPRS. It's an old 2G network. You'll connect to it when you're in an area where 3G isn't available but GPRS is.

3. TheDeafGuy

TheDeafGuy Member
    Bronze

Thanks, that is weird though. I've had the 3G, 3Gs and now the 4s and this is the first time I've seen that icon. I got a little paranoid, thought it was some sort of tracking icon that records everything I do and go. Lol.....

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've connected to it a few times over the years, but only in remote areas. If you typically get 3G service in that area, you might want to try resetting your network settings.

5. iNurse

iNurse Contributor
    Silver

same here!

6. Jarred

Jarred Contributor
    Bronze

I get that quite often when there's no 3G coverage. We don't have an Edge network (our 3G is debatable too heh) here so it's the next best thing. LTE is years away In our country too, will make the next gen 4G devices a bit of a waste

7. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

What Seether song were you listening to? :)

8. TheDeafGuy

TheDeafGuy Member
    Bronze

Watcher, the Seether artwork is actually my wallpaper. I was testing out a few to see how my apps stand out but I think it's better off without graphics behind them.

Looking at the music title in the status bar, I was listening to Drowning Pool's "37 Stitches" on Pandora.

9. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

It actually means Apple has discovered that you jailbroke your phone and have alerted the authorities.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

#10 chris, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  11. TheDeafGuy

TheDeafGuy Member
    Bronze

This is getting annoying... I know I'm inside of a 3g network but I'm noticing it is constantly switching to the slower/older network as I questioned in the first post.

Is there a way to disable it so it stays on 3g? There shouldn't be any reason for it to switch back and forth like that, slowing down my connection.

12. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Member
    Bronze

DeafGuy how u got the screen shot of your phone?

13. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Press and hold the home button and the power button at the same time. You'll see a flash. Look in Photos > Camera Roll and you'll see your newly created screenshot.

14. Apple iAddicted

Apple iAddicted Contributor
    Bronze

sometimes, not evertime, but a lot when my phone goes to "E" or the circle I do a hard reset and it comes back up on the 3G network and usually stays

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1!
    Only thing iPhone is missing is an expandable memory port! Come on Apple give us a microSD port already!

15. TheDeafGuy

TheDeafGuy Member
    Bronze

That's what I've been doing... hard resets, and they get tiresome pretty quick. Was hoping if there was an actual toggle other than the EDGE toggle which is ineffective at this point. I'll keep doing the hard resets if that's the only way, but I won't be pleased about it... I mean, who else would? LOL

16. eye-Fone

eye-Fone Zealot
    Gold

Try going into "Airplane" mode, wait about 20 seconds, then turn off "Airplane" mode. This should do the equivalent of an "ipconfig release/renew" and reconnect to the network.

Sent from my iPad 3 (64GB)

17. TheDeafGuy

TheDeafGuy Member
    Bronze

Hmm... I haven't thought of the Airplane toggle. I'll try it next time my connection gets jumpy.