What's with the "i"?

natalie

Bronze
Aug 11, 2007
Louisiana
www.myspace.com
such a newbie question but here it goes...

ok so im new to this whole Apple scene. ive owned an ipod for 2yrs now and before that never had anything Apple. ive always wondered.. whats with the "i" infront of their products... ipod, imac, iPhone

is the "i" representing the person who owns the product?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
such a newbie question but here it goes...

ok so im new to this whole Apple scene. ive owned an ipod for 2yrs now and before that never had anything Apple. ive always wondered.. whats with the "i" infront of their products... ipod, imac, iPhone

is the "i" representing the person who owns the product?
I've always thought it stood for "intelligent"

mike3141

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
The original i-object was the bondi blue plastic "iMac"--it was the "internet Mac"--out of the box it was capable of internet access--no add-ons required.

Now as to why they named it the "iPod"--your guess is as good as mine.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
It does indeed stand for Internet. Since '98, Apple's "i" prefix has been generalized to devices that have no internet connectivity whatsoever (eg. iPod), Apple software (eg. iLife, iWork), and even non-Apple products. (Editorial: Other manufacturers are presumably trying to cash in on the "halo effect" of the Apple design team by suggesting that the product works smoothly and simply, features pleasing ergonomics, and is likely white.)

-K

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
I always thought "i" meant you... kinda makes sense you know with your personality..you choose your music to put on the Ipod and all that stuff...but Iam probably wrong lol.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
The original i-object was the bondi blue plastic "iMac"--it was the "internet Mac"--out of the box it was capable of internet access--no add-ons required.

Now as to why they named it the "iPod"--your guess is as good as mine.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Apple was the first iCreator. Weren't there other iObjects before the iMac?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007