What's wrong with iTunes?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
My iPhone loads all the cover artwork for cover-flow virtually instantly, but my iTunes seems to take ages - displaying the default blank covers until they've loaded. Is this the same for everyone? Just seems a bit strange that the iPhone should be so much quicker than iTunes.

It's a very capable intel mac 2.8Ghz and 150 covers or thereabouts.

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
My iPhone loads all the cover artwork for cover-flow virtually instantly, but my iTunes seems to take ages - displaying the default blank covers until they've loaded. Is this the same for everyone? Just seems a bit strange that the iPhone should be so much quicker than iTunes.

It's a very capable intel mac 2.8Ghz and 150 covers or thereabouts.
No it is not the same for everyone. The coverflow on my desktop has always worked perfectly.

Having used iTunes on 3 computers now, I suspect the problem is either video drivers or the graphics card capabilities itself. For example a driver update fixed inop coverflow in my husbands iTunes. On my laptop (SiS 760 integrated graphics), I can't use coverflow -- even with a driver update it shows sort of cover shaped garbage. I just can't even use it. So there is a continuum of operability.

If you do have the latest and greatest graphics card on you computer, a driver update will most likely fix it. If you have older and less capable graphics you may need to live with it. Also check your computer for running background tasks. If you are light on memory you may have problems like you describe with too much stuff running.

I have a PC, btw. I doubt that the issues are that much different for a macintel, but I don't really know, this iPhone being my first Apple purchase.

Last, I'm guessing but coverflow on the iPhone is probably optimized for that specific device.

P.S. I just counted and I have about 110 covers, so less than yours. One additional thought -- is any of your cover artwork very large? My largest is about 500 by 500 pixels -- I don't know if that is maintained when the artwork is imported. I probably have about 15 covers I made myself either because the store artwork wasn't to my taste or the artwork wasn't available.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Thanks guys and gals,

I just timed it and it took just under 2 seconds to load all the artworks - at the very least 5 times as long as the iPhone. It's no big deal really, but I'll check out all the suggestions. If it is artwork size then the iPhone must be producing new versions of the cover artworks when it synchs - I don't have a jailbroken phone yet, or i'd check that out.

I could just blink when I load iTunes - but I can't help staring, scowling and tapping my feet in stead. Grrrrrr.

Maybe iTunes doesn't like my taste in music.