What's your employer's policy on company WiFi?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I was curious what most smartphone user's employers had for a company wifi policy. Do they allow anyone to use it? Do they restrict it to certain employees? Or is it strictly off limits to employees? With so many people with smartdevices, I can imagine that they are starting to put a crunch on network traffic.

JWB

Bronze
Nov 8, 2011
There really isn't any policy about wifi at my work

Sent using iCafe app on iPhone 5

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I work in a hospital. Free WiFi is available to patients, family members and staff. Cellular is often faster my area, but my signal strength is weak in the building so I typically use their WiFi.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
I work In an events venue, it has wifi in the pub for the customers (punters), but In the event rooms, exchange and football pitches there is not wifi for customers but around the entire place there is staff wifi, we can go on anything we want too.
There is wpa2 protection however.

Sent using a bottle of fairy liquid

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
The WiFi at my office is locked down, but you can use your master login credentials to get on. The speed isn't the greatest, but it allows me to stream Sirius about 4 hours a day and not worry about using data so I can't complain.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
I worked in a factory before I retired and only front office personnel, whom the company deemed to have need to access to the office WiFi, were allowed on the company's network. Anyone outside of that group who regularly accessed the network would eventually be paid a visit by the IT director to let them know that the pass-code had been changed and to find out how you got the old code. No answer or an answer deemed untruthful could have gotten you fired for theft of company property after multiple offenses. Employees on the production floor were not allowed to use or openly have cellphones on their person. Although the reasoning for the ban wasn't explained, I think this was due more to the possibility of photographing a company secret than worrying about unauthorized WiFi Access. Getting caught carrying a cell phone or using one anywhere inside the factory was a offense for which you could eventually be fired.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I work in a hospital. Free WiFi is available to patients, family members and staff. Cellular is often faster my area, but my signal strength is weak in the building so I typically use their WiFi.
Same for me but my hospital requires a user name and password that only lasts 1 day and I find myself having to enter it often many times a day, very annoying so I don't bother. Wifi is very slow for the guest service anyway.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
OH HO HO! (That's me with a sarcastic laugh) As soon as smart phones were more popular they disabled the building WiFi for everyone. At first only a few people had the original iPhone so it was no big deal. The following year when the iPhone 3G came out they shut free WiFi down in the building and only the IT people and their "friends" had access to it.

There are no "free" WiFi signals close enough, like the library or just the Free Public WiFi that is conveniently out of reach when inside this building. I wouldn't use the Free Public WiFi anyway don't know where it comes from.

I do have a nice strong LTE signal here so I use that. Oh, and if you plug your iPhone or iPad into your monitor for power, it automatically is connected to the company Network and they can access your device as it is recognized as an external hard drive. So, I just snake extension cords to the power strip closest to me for my charge.

The company says that they don't want people spending a lot of time on their smart devices so there is no WiFi available without a passcode and appropriate permissions. I understand that. :whistle: Glad I have a 3G, 4G and now an LTE signal. (shhhh people still spend time on their smart devices!):sneaky: LOL! Gotta love people in charge!

wparisi

Bronze
I teach part-time at a local university. The university's WiFi is available to all students and staff. It requires a username and password. There are also may AT&T WiFi hotspots on campus if you are an AT&T subscriber, which I am. We do not have LTE in this area (Youngstown, OH), only 4G, so when on campus a connect to the AT&T WiFi.