What's your employer's policy on company WiFi?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by PapaST, Apr 29, 2013.

1. PapaST

PapaST Member
    Bronze

I was curious what most smartphone user's employers had for a company wifi policy. Do they allow anyone to use it? Do they restrict it to certain employees? Or is it strictly off limits to employees? With so many people with smartdevices, I can imagine that they are starting to put a crunch on network traffic.

2. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

There really isn't any policy about wifi at my work

Sent using iCafe app on iPhone 5

3. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

It's restricted to certain employees but LTE is most likely faster than the corporates WiFi anyway.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I work in a hospital. Free WiFi is available to patients, family members and staff. Cellular is often faster my area, but my signal strength is weak in the building so I typically use their WiFi.

5. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

I work In an events venue, it has wifi in the pub for the customers (punters), but In the event rooms, exchange and football pitches there is not wifi for customers but around the entire place there is staff wifi, we can go on anything we want too.
    There is wpa2 protection however.

Sent using a bottle of fairy liquid

6. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I forgot to mention my workplace has free WiFi in the cafeteria which is available to all employees.

7. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

The WiFi at my office is locked down, but you can use your master login credentials to get on. The speed isn't the greatest, but it allows me to stream Sirius about 4 hours a day and not worry about using data so I can't complain.

8. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I worked in a factory before I retired and only front office personnel, whom the company deemed to have need to access to the office WiFi, were allowed on the company's network. Anyone outside of that group who regularly accessed the network would eventually be paid a visit by the IT director to let them know that the pass-code had been changed and to find out how you got the old code. No answer or an answer deemed untruthful could have gotten you fired for theft of company property after multiple offenses. Employees on the production floor were not allowed to use or openly have cellphones on their person. Although the reasoning for the ban wasn't explained, I think this was due more to the possibility of photographing a company secret than worrying about unauthorized WiFi Access. Getting caught carrying a cell phone or using one anywhere inside the factory was a offense for which you could eventually be fired.

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Same for me but my hospital requires a user name and password that only lasts 1 day and I find myself having to enter it often many times a day, very annoying so I don't bother. Wifi is very slow for the guest service anyway.

10. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

OH HO HO! (That's me with a sarcastic laugh) As soon as smart phones were more popular they disabled the building WiFi for everyone. At first only a few people had the original iPhone so it was no big deal. The following year when the iPhone 3G came out they shut free WiFi down in the building and only the IT people and their "friends" had access to it.

There are no "free" WiFi signals close enough, like the library or just the Free Public WiFi that is conveniently out of reach when inside this building. I wouldn't use the Free Public WiFi anyway don't know where it comes from.

I do have a nice strong LTE signal here so I use that. Oh, and if you plug your iPhone or iPad into your monitor for power, it automatically is connected to the company Network and they can access your device as it is recognized as an external hard drive. So, I just snake extension cords to the power strip closest to me for my charge.

The company says that they don't want people spending a lot of time on their smart devices so there is no WiFi available without a passcode and appropriate permissions. I understand that. :whistle: Glad I have a 3G, 4G and now an LTE signal. (shhhh people still spend time on their smart devices!):sneaky: LOL! Gotta love people in charge!

11. AdamDaieh

AdamDaieh Member
    Bronze

I work in a consulting company, so many restrictions, no wifi, browsing in your computer is limited also. Mostly company websites and tools are allowed.

12. wparisi

wparisi Member
    Bronze

I teach part-time at a local university. The university's WiFi is available to all students and staff. It requires a username and password. There are also may AT&T WiFi hotspots on campus if you are an AT&T subscriber, which I am. We do not have LTE in this area (Youngstown, OH), only 4G, so when on campus a connect to the AT&T WiFi.