What's your favorite alternative email app for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by chris, Dec 6, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I've been working on an article that includes some of the best email apps for iPhone. I've found some great apps that I've been using for the past week. I wanted to get some feedback from members of the community on apps they are using for email. If you've left the stock app, I'd like to know what app has become your go-to app for mail and why?

2. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

I'm really like the molto email app. It's full of colours and deals with emails as per categories. Lovely feel to the way if works it and it flows real nice. Nice little tweak is the unread emails option which is pretty cool. Here's the link.
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/molto-email-app-for-gmail/id551945066?mt=8

Sent from my iPhone using

#2 lancer_325, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Excellent. Thanks. I just downloaded it and will give it a try. The name Incredimail seems familiar, but I hadn't see this app.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The stock email app works great for me. I haven't ever even tested a third party email app.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I've been a stock mail user as well, but I think my findings might have me changing. I use Gmail and support for labels, actions and such are really useful. My problem is that I don't take action on emails and forget about them. When I first see them, if it's not vitally important (like a PM from @Napoleon PhoneApart ), I'll plan to get to it later. A thousand emails later and I'm wondering how things got so bad. Apps like Mailbox, Boxer, among others offer some nifty features that might prevent this from ever happening. These apps beg you to act, which is better than the inaction which causes such inbox havoc.

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Incredimail adds great gif animations to your emails. Unfortunately, it's only for computers. I'd love to have it on iPhone.

Sent using iCafe app

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Jeesh.

8. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Will be interested to see what you think of it. I'm liking it more and more each day. My only gripe is that it only a landscape mode on the ipad mini. Still as a free app I find it brilliant.

9. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

I've used the GMail App. on all devices, and have shut off notifications for the GMail accounts set up on the native mail. I use native for iCloud mail only.... Works smoothly and is very user friendly. Its a good dovetail for my desktop, ( IMac ) where I use Chrome as a browser and a GMail extension. David

Sent using iCafe app

10. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Per this thread, trying 'Malto' ..... Now that' sea different approach .... Will run it in the background for a bit :)

Sent using iCafe app

11. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Hope you like molto. It's a neat little app and I love scanning through unread emails. V neat and tidy email client.

#11 lancer_325, Dec 7, 2013
  12. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Seems to be so ..... Not quite ready yet to promote it to my main screen, but will use it to compare.... It took me quite awhile to get used to GMail's presentation when I went with it ( almost at its inception several years ago ) and web based mail was in its infancy. I quickly ditched my traditional Outlook Express ... But a half hours worth of playing around with Malto leaves me with a grin :)

Sent using iCafe app

13. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered it and even more so when I discovered it was a free app. It's now my main email app. I love it.

#13 lancer_325, Dec 7, 2013
  14. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

It's now installing on my phone.......

15. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Interested to hear what you think after you've used it for a while. I'm def sticking with it. It can handle outlook and gmail which is v handy and it has more colours than the stock Apple app which I like.

#15 lancer_325, Dec 7, 2013
  16. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

So far so good .... I've been fiddling with it since supper..... Its SO different, but that was said about GMail at its inception and I got used to it in a few days ..... I'm impressed so far. On the GMail app, the notifications are pushed and the content is fetched. I'm not too sure about this one, but I suspect it is all a fetch set up. I will likely keep the GMail app running, if only for the notifications... David :cool:

17. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Yes David, I think it's set up to fetch which may be a problem regarding battery. Also I find that it takes a little while after the notification before you see the mail appearing in the app inbox. Still I can live with those little issues if I can have an attractive looking mail app with the unread mail option to swiftly run through them. Also the app allows you to swipe through emails so that's very handy if you are getting loads of emails. You just read and swipe to the next one. Try it and see if its for you or not. I'm just surprised it hasn't caught on with more people.

18. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

One day in , and its on my first page. I only use the notifications for the GMail app itself ( sound + badge app icon ) which brings up the notification. I then click the Molto, which immediately does a 'fetch' for whatever's new. The preview panes are great, allowing me to bypass minor things until I'm ready, and open stuff which is pressing. It seems a vey flexible program, and being both free and 'ad free' at least so far, is a bonus . I like the way attachments are 'attached' even on the preview. The iPhone version isn't quite a good, having to work on the smaller screen, but is still very functional.. There is a bit of a synch delay between devices (iPhone/iPad) as well as synch with the GMail app, and GMail through Chrome on my Mac, but all gets sorted out eventually....
    As was said.... Its a big performer for a 'free' app ... David

Sent using iCafe app

19. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

I'm really liking Molto after only about 24 hrs. I've always loved the stock email apps for my iPhone, but with the calendar debacle I've opened up to third party apps. This is one I'm glad I tried. For a free app it does a ton.

Thanks for the suggestion.

20. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Delighted you like molto. Since I found it I've been using only it.

#20 lancer_325, Dec 9, 2013