What's your thoughts on AT&T Shared Data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Target, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I've ran the numbers and I'll save $10-$15 per month on shared data for 3 iPhones. We have never gone over on data charges. We'll lose one unlimited plan. Gain unlimited talk and hot spot. I've been told we'll gain FaceTime over cellular as well.

What's your thoughts and experience with AT&T shared data plan?

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

2. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

If it was better than what they had they wouldn't have changed it.

3. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

There's truth there. Perhaps they are responding to competitive pressures.

Our only lose is my wife's unlimited plan. She's only got close to 2-gig once. My daughter has a 3-gig plan and I've got a 2-gig. We collectively never hit 4-gig. Getting the 6-gig plan gives us extra for FaceTime and hot spot.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

4. psylichon

psylichon Genius

It's good if it saves you money and the data cap isn't a problem. I've pondered the switch but have decided my unlimited plan is more important than tethering and Cellular Facetime (the only two features of the new plan I really care about). Even though I don't come close to using it fully, I don't want to give it up should I need it. It's also cheaper for my family, so I'm holding onto it for now.

5. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

You don't hear much about the throttling issue for unlimited plans anymore, is it still relevant?

If it didn't save money I wouldn't do it. The other features are just gravy.

Target

6. VIPERxGTx2000

VIPERxGTx2000 Member
    Bronze

I'm saving about $200 every month on an 8 phone account with the shared data plan because previously we had to have two accounts as there was a max of 5 lines per account but with the shared data its been raised to 10 and we collectively use 5-10 gb per month so we're on the 15gb plan.

7. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

I gave up one unlimited plan to move to 6 gb plan. I never hit 3 gb, rarely 2 gb.
    My wife and son were on 250 mg plans. This way they share data and get more. I have moved iPads(1 was on 3 gb plan) to this as well.
    For my family this is a no brainer as they get to share in the data I was paying for but not using.

In theory losing the unlimited plan felt wrong but I have never used enough data to worry. Generally, I used 1 gb or less on both the iPad and iPhone.

I save $25 a month this way.

Last night we use FaceTime on our 2 iPhone5. I was in Tampa and my wife was in Columbia, MO. Worked great with no lag. I doubt Columbia had LTE.

I think the share plans get a bad rap on AT&T. On Verizon you get this data so that may not be as good.

8. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Target I did the switch from 3 phones with 1 unlimited (sons) 1 tether plan (mine) and one bare minimum $15 (hubby)
    I went to AT&T nd they puled my usage. Hubby started to need more Data. Son uses most data when he is not n school and has never gone over 6GB (this summer when we moved). I never used my GB but paid for more so I get tethering to my iPad.
    Now we all can tether. I also wanted hubby to have FT he travels some times.
    So far so good we got 10GB plan and may adventually even go down. We pay exactly the same as before.

9. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

WE never got throttled

10. PapaST

PapaST Member
    Bronze

I'm pondering the same move but haven't done it. It would save us some money but I'm more interested to see how my data usage changes with iP5/LTE. I can already tell that I use more data just because it's so much faster. I'm going to monitor it for a bit and if my data usage doesn't go significantly higher then I may switch because I would like the hotspot feature. But then again, if I use it as a hotspot then I know my data usage will go up for sure.

11. Nrevezzo

Nrevezzo Member
    Bronze

I ran the numbers and it would increase my bill by about $40/month for 3 iPhones. Currently my wife and I have the 200MB plan and my daughter has the 300MB plan. We usually don't come close to our allotment and have never gone over.
    Shared data plan is a NO for me.

12. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I just gave up the unlimited plan to get my wife an iPhone 5. We now have a 4GB plan and frankly it's no big deal. I reviewed my data usage before switching and was rarely over 1GB of data.

It's saving me $$$ so no pain.

13. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

We used to have my daughter on the 300MB plan. She would go over every month by 15MB or so. Just enough to make it the same cost as the 3-Gig plan. We were always watching the data. It was frustrating. We opted to go to the larger plan and had her Kepple the wifi off for a month. Never made it to a gig. Saved the worry of going over an watching the data consumption. Same money - no worries.

Looking to not have that worry again. We won't use the FaceTime or the hot spot much. If we do, it will be wifi only iPad to iPhone.

I appreciate the comments. Keep em coming!

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

14. jareknyc

jareknyc Member
    Silver

I was just looking at the numbers on my AT&T account, Jesus this is expensive just for data for two iPhones 6 gb share plan is 160$ it's insane' I only pay 30 per each iPhone line which is two lines that's 60$ unlimited txt 30 that's 90$
    I have unlimited data and it's not sharing and I pay less, it's way to expensive for me to go to shared data and loss my unlimited data

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

15. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

Here are my thoughts on it. I have 2 iPhones, both were grandfathered unlimited. I really did not want to lose them. Changing to a shared plan didn't really save me anything on my bill. Unless I went with a 4 gig limit. Then I saved 8 dollars. Not really enough to help. But with the 6 gig plan. My bill stayed basically the same. So I did switch. One for Facetime and the other reason was so my wife could do tethering. She needed it for school.

I really think AT&T should have done a little more research and played with the numbers if they wanted a mass exodus away from unlimited. I'm happy with AT&T though, they have done me right when I called in with issues. So I did change, maybe not for the right reasons. But if AT&T wanted to help people with this, I think if I could have saved 30 or 40 bucks. It would have made me feel better about giving up unlimited data.

16. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I have only one phone, I also own an iPad and have unlimited data. For me to change my plan will mean more money, I'm just very disappointed with AT&T that with my unlimited pan I can't use FaceTime over the net neither can use my iPad unless I pay more. My question is why unlimited data if that actually means nothing.

17. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

Don't you have to pay base price for a family plan

I was originally on a family plan with 1400 min. That was $80 then $30 data $ 30 unlimited txt. So my base for one phone was $ 140

Then each smartphone was another$25

18. VIPERxGTx2000

VIPERxGTx2000 Member
    Bronze

It's really made save larger families money. When you have more than 5 phones then its an obvious no brainier to switch to the shared plan.

19. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Yep.

You don't hear much about the throttling issue anymore because I've said just about everything I've had to say on the subject, to say it again would just be redundant ;)

20. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

True...I don't want to open that can of worms again. Just wondering if its still happening as often as it used too.

Target