When 3G is enabled, my GPS rarely works..

gulbane

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Since launch day, I have had this problem. If I am in a 3G area, the GPS will rarely ever discover where I am. It will search indefinitely and never locate me. As soon as I switch to EGDE via the settings icon, my location if found immediately.

Once in a blue moon, the GPS will work on the 3G network, but it's like 1 out of 25 attempts.

What could be wrong? I 50 miles North of NYC by the way.

ndmx52

Dec 29, 2007
If your trying to locate yourself indoors with the GPS, it won't work. Satellites won't be able to find you. The Edge network will find you because its merely triangulating you.

gulbane

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
When I use EDGE outdoors, I get true GPS location - not just the old triangulation. But this only works consistantly on EDGE almost never when using 3G.

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Go into reset under general settings and reset location services. It worked for me.

gulbane

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Mine says "location warnings"
Same here - and resetting it didn't work.

Basically, cell phone triangulation doesn't work with 3G - I guess thats the best way to explain the problem. It works fine when Im outdoors....the GPS is great on either band. As soon as Im using 3G....indoors, nothing works. When I switch to EGDE, cell phone triangulation works great -- like it always did.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Since launch day, I have had this problem. If I am in a 3G area, the GPS will rarely ever discover where I am. It will search indefinitely and never locate me. As soon as I switch to EGDE via the settings icon, my location if found immediately.

Once in a blue moon, the GPS will work on the 3G network, but it's like 1 out of 25 attempts.

What could be wrong? I 50 miles North of NYC by the way.
I didn't notice that until I read this. With my GPS is not working again (Apps crashing again, too), but noticed that Cell triangulation is more accurate on EDGE than 3G. I still don't get GPS.

I didn't have any issue since my last restore until I switch 3G off last night and my phone went dead a little later. Woke up to Apps Crashing and GPS inop again. I wonder if switching 3G off and on may had something to do with it or the battery going dead Something corrupting files.

I did reset Network Setting and these are the results

Prior to reset
3G gave me a 5 block radius
EDGE gave me a 1 block radius

After Network Reset
3G and EDGE located me in a 250foot radius

Still no GPS

Now, if I do a restore my Apps will work again and GPS will function again, but I am getting tired of this.

One thing I have learn is that it is software related since a restore fixes it everytime.

Update

I did a Hard Reset (Home Sleep/Wake) and got GPS to work, but have Apps crashing.

EDIT

...and before somebody says you have to be outside, this is outside with a clear view in all direction to the sky.