When Apple updates, is iPhone still JB'd?

perps

Jan 26, 2009
Tittle says it all, if and when there is an iPhone update via Apple/AT&T will my iPhone still be jailbroken or will it go back to unbroken settings? If it reverts back to un-jailbroken status, do i loose all my data i've d-loaded? will i have to start alll over again? If so, is there a back up program to restore back to jailbroken settings? Thanks.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
when Apple releases an update, your iPhone is NOT automatically updated. iTunes will let you know there is an update available, and ask if you want to do it. you do NOT have to. So, you can continue operating on the older (jailbroken) software without any issues.

IF you told iTunes to update your jailbroken iPhone to the new software (which is a really bad idea), it will not be jailbroken anymore, but may still retain many of the mods installed previously... it's a dangerous mix.

if you want to update to the new firmware AND be jailbroken, you must wait for the dev team to release an updated Pwnage tool or QuickPwn. Once they do, you will have to completely restore your iPhone (which will erase everything), update to the new software, and re-jailbreak.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I thought updating would completely wipe out all data minus your own (music, etc), aka the "restore" effect, so I always figured it would be ok to update sans restoring.

TJL7386

Bronze
Nov 14, 2008
Michigan
So in order to update to the new Firmware we have to back up our iPhones with AppBackup or some app like it? Then do a restore on the iPhone and then update? Then re-JB correct? Just want to make sure I do it properly. Also when using AppBackup I assume you connect it to a CPU to store the back up on?

Plastikfear

Bronze
Jan 15, 2009
Somewhere over the rainbow
So in order to update to the new Firmware we have to back up our iPhones with AppBackup or some app like it? Then do a restore on the iPhone and then update? Then re-JB correct? Just want to make sure I do it properly. Also when using AppBackup I assume you connect it to a CPU to store the back up on?
I was told that you just re-DL the AppBackup or whatever, to your phone, after JB... then hit 'restore' in it or something and it will get all the stuff back that you had put on it before. I dunno if thats right but thats what a friend told me.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
An update just updates the firmware. A restore (to factory settings) erases all the data.

paul_h

Nov 22, 2008
So then does iTunes restore all non jailbreak apps, settings, contacts etc and apprestore will restore all jailbreak items such as sbsettings, jailbreak apps etc? This is my first text having to update a jailbreak phone and luckily I think this thread has cleared most of my questions up (restore to factory, quickpwn, restore backup from iTunes, restore jailbreak items via apprestore...is that correct?)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Instead restoring from a backup after the restore to factory settings, you just sync it in iTunes. All of you media is still there in the iTunes library, so it just needs added back on. What isn't there is you SMS messages and notes. You have to save those files with iPhonebrowser (PC) or diskaid (Mac). Your contacts can be saved through iTunes (indirectly), but they have to be synced with Google or Mobileme etc BEFORE the restore.

The contacts are the most important thing to remember here IMO, so be sure to sync them every so often.

Plastikfear

Bronze
Jan 15, 2009
Somewhere over the rainbow
So can you download the latest firmware through iTunes without 'restoring' (erasing everything) first and then re-JB it and have everything be ok? Or do you definitely always need to stick to the "restore, then update software, then re-jailbreak" equation?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Hard to say for sure, but it is very unlikely that would work out perfectly.

Only one way to find out...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So can you download the latest firmware through iTunes without 'restoring' (erasing everything) first and then re-JB it and have everything be ok? Or do you definitely always need to stick to the "restore, then update software, then re-jailbreak" equation?
It isn't wise to install the lastest FW through iTunes on a jb phone (it removes the jb but leaves traces). Instead restore to factory settings, update to the latest FW, sycn in iTunes to get you media back on, and rejailbreak.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
can you hook your iPhone up to iTunes to remove the music you have on it and sync new tunes, without updating to the new firmware? I wanna change out my music but am cautious...
Yes, that's fine. You can add and remove apps, music, movies etc without problems. You can do everything you normally would in iTunes except update the FW.