when buying a used iPhone...

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
how can I ensure I will be able to unlock it ?

there is this guy with an iPhone, it (the phone) works on att and everything seems to be in order, but could there be a way maybe he did something to the phone i.e. tried to unlocked it, or unlocked it and locked it again and maybe now it cant be unlocked ?

not sure if i am making myself clear, but basically, id there anything that can be done to the iPhone that will prevent it from being unlocked ?

i just don't want to buy it and when i get home i come to find out i cant unlock it and now i am stuck with it.

thanks.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
If it's a 3G iPhone it can't be unlocked and can only be used with AT&T.

If it's a 2G iPhone you'll be fine.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
2G of course is the first version iPhone in case you were unsure.

If it has the aluminum backing then it's unlockable. If it has the white or black backing then it is not currently unlockable using software.

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
ok...

thanks for the replies...

it is the v1 iPhone... i asked just because i heard a few times somepeople who unlocked their iPhone, locked it again and then after that it was not possible to unlocked it because they "burnt" something...

sorry for the confussion... i rather ask the dumb question vice looking dumb for not asking it.

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
My teacher always told me that there are no such things as stupid questions, and called me a Moron for asking a stupid question about stupid questions. Questions?

oakie

Bronze
Oct 18, 2008
Las Vegas
www.revtarded.com
ok...

thanks for the replies...

it is the v1 iPhone... i asked just because i heard a few times somepeople who unlocked their iPhone, locked it again and then after that it was not possible to unlocked it because they "burnt" something...

sorry for the confussion... i rather ask the dumb question vice looking dumb for not asking it.
that's more the fault of the user. if u were to upgrade to a newer firmware before the pwning feature is released, the phone will revert back to locked status.

but right now, the latest firmware is v2.1 and it's been pwned... just don't upgrade to v2.2 when it comes out shortly until the dev team has released a new pwned version.

iPhone™

Bronze
Oct 4, 2008
Australia
Although it is possible to unlock a 3G phone physically with a $50 TurboSIM off eBay.

But currently, There is no software to unlock the 3G.

I'm receiving my TurboSIM in the mail next week. :p