When is Apple releasing "push" for applications?

ibodybuild

Bronze
Sep 21, 2008
When are they going to release push? It is so annoying for applications like instant message programs / email and the such to not have a push feature...

ibodybuild

Bronze
Sep 21, 2008
Thanks! :) I do hope that it comes out soon though.

ibodybuild

Bronze
Sep 21, 2008
Sorry chief, but Gmail doesn't offer push mail. Yahoo does though
Okay thanks, I guess for now I could forward my gmail account emails to a yahoo account until gmail implements a push feature...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I give Gmail ... maybe another month or two. I just know push is coming... I feel it like arthritics feel rain coming. They do it on the G1. Along with Streetview on Maps... which is rumored to be coming to the iPhone. Hmmm...

ibodybuild

Bronze
Sep 21, 2008
No problem, that's why I've been doing :)
For some reason the yahoo email account is setup on the iPhone and is receiving emails through fetch, but not push. It is set to receive through push and push is turned on so I don't know why emails aren't being pushed to the phone... any suggestions?

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
Yahoo Push has NEVER worked correctly, I don't have a clue why they can't get it right. I finally switched to MobileMe and have been very satisfied.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Really? I signed up for the 2 month trial of MobileMe and so far, it hasn't been pushing anything. I have to open up the Mail app to get my MobileMe mail.

My mobile me push works fantastic and instantly. It did not in the very beginning, however has been stable for over a month now.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I give Gmail ... maybe another month or two. I just know push is coming... I feel it like arthritics feel rain coming. They do it on the G1. Along with Streetview on Maps... which is rumored to be coming to the iPhone. Hmmm...
As much as I hope this would happen, I am not sure that it ever will. With Android now out and about, this would make for a compelling reason for google loyalists to make a transition to that platform. However, I would love to see it happen.

Marty Mar

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Cortland Ohio
@ psylichon and jsntrenkler

there was a thread on howard forums a couple of weeks ago, there were a ton of people getting gmail accounts pushed. they were all testing it by sending themselves emails from separate accounts on desktops and they were getting them in 2 minutes or less in most cases. then it just stopped. perhaps google was testing it.

who knows, they probably have it ready to go now and just needs to flip the switch. i don't' know why they're holding out.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I'm thinking 2.2 or 2.3 will have it.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
As much as I hope this would happen, I am not sure that it ever will. With Android now out and about, this would make for a compelling reason for google loyalists to make a transition to that platform. However, I would love to see it happen.
I'm with you--Gmail push to iPhone would then create direct competition against Android. Push email is the ONLY reason I'd ever consider the G1.