When is your next upgrade after buying the iPhone.

H

Hayesimus

So, in another thread they are all talking about how you should go and purchase a freebie phone from AT&T before purchasing your iPhone so then you can use your upgrade since the iPhone doesn't mess with your upgrade schedules, just merely resets your two year contract. Well, I went and logged into my AT&T account and it says my phone line is elligible for an upgrade on 11-23-08...

What does yours say? For some reason that just doesn't seem right to me. I got my iPhone on iDay btw, so if you did also then let me know in your response. I realize that you didn't need to be elligible for an upgrade to get the iPhone if you were an existing customer, but I figured it would have reset your two year contract AND your next upgrade from you iPhone purchase... Do you know what I'm talking about?

powersrus

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Battle Creek, MI.
This is what mine and my sons said when I logged into my account and we got ours on iday also but my husbands said his would be on 8/17/08 and we got all 3 on iday! Whats up with that?

(This line is eligible for equipment discount pricing when you sign up for a 2-year service agreement. You can also take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option.)

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
That is correct. The iPhone is not subsidized by AT&T. Therefore, we are not eligible for a "new phone every two years" program. What AT&T is willing to do is make more revenue by having us upgrade our single user line to multi-user or family lines.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Two of the lines on our account are eligible for upgrades and two are not. My eligibility was up in last February or so and I didn't get an iPhone discount (obviously) and now I'm ineligible for at least another year. Might take advantage of the other two lines however.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i totally forgot about this. i'm eligible for an upgrade already - i may go to a store and see what phone i can get for free and then just sell it to help fund my 3G iPhone purchase...

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Equipment upgrade and contract expiration are two different things on the AT&T website. The site might show one date for equipment update, but it may show a completely different date for contract expiration.

Equipment upgrades are usually allowed after 18 months, but the contract is still for 24 months. If you do upgrade, then they reset your contract back to 24 months.

Check your contract expiration (not equipment upgrade) date.

Log onto your AT&T Wireless account.

When it loads up, near the top right hand corner (next to Logout)select: View Profile. A screen will appear.

You will see 2 tabs on the screen, select: User Information.

Scroll down to the section titled: Contract Information.

That is the date your contract actually expires.

Just be careful if you upgrade, you don't want them sticking another 24 months onto your already 24 month contract and making it 48 month contract. I hope AT&T don't do that and just replace your existing contract with a new 24 month contract.

So, in another thread they are all talking about how you should go and purchase a freebie phone from AT&T before purchasing your iPhone so then you can use your upgrade since the iPhone doesn't mess with your upgrade schedules, just merely resets your two year contract. Well, I went and logged into my AT&T account and it says my phone line is elligible for an upgrade on 11-23-08...

What does yours say? For some reason that just doesn't seem right to me. I got my iPhone on iDay btw, so if you did also then let me know in your response. I realize that you didn't need to be elligible for an upgrade to get the iPhone if you were an existing customer, but I figured it would have reset your two year contract AND your next upgrade from you iPhone purchase... Do you know what I'm talking about?

H

Hayesimus

That's all correct except for one thing. If you purchase a new phone, they don't ADD 24 months to your contract. They merely reset it back to 24 months. Just FYI