When to buy and from who?

astrolux

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Hey folks,

I am so impressed with my iMac I have decided to purchase the iPhone. I almost did two weeks ago and my Wife talked me out of it. Glad she. That following Tuesday Apple dropped the old line and started the new.

My questions are...when should I buy? After the holidays or when it's time to get a new contract.

Next, who should I buy from? I am afraid AT&T are going to clutter the thing with their non-sense ads and the such. I would like one without all the AT&T logos since really they are a really evil company (long story).

Thanks for the great forum and when I finally do get my phone I hope to be contributing if I don't get cold feet about trying new things!

Love and Drinks,

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hey folks,

I am so impressed with my iMac I have decided to purchase the iPhone. I almost did two weeks ago and my Wife talked me out of it. Glad she. That following Tuesday Apple dropped the old line and started the new.

My questions are...when should I buy? After the holidays or when it's time to get a new contract.

Next, who should I buy from? I am afraid AT&T are going to clutter the thing with their non-sense ads and the such. I would like one without all the AT&T logos since really they are a really evil company (long story).

Thanks for the great forum and when I finally do get my phone I hope to be contributing if I don't get cold feet about trying new things!

Love and Drinks,
Welcome to Everything iPhone!

1.) Apple did not drop the "old line and started the new." They merely dropped the 4GB iPhone and reduced the price on the 8GB version.

2.) When to buy it is your decision. If you are under contract with another provider, maybe it's better to wait. If you are already under contract with AT&T I'd say it is pointless to wait as you will have to renew your contract for 2 years regardless.

3.) There is no difference between the iPhones sold by AT&T and those sold by Apple.

4.) It's "whom" not "who." :p:p:p:p

--
Mike

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Hey folks,

Love and Drinks,
If you can get out of your contract without major penalty, do it now. Have fun. I gave up T-Mobile and I can't say AT&T is any worse than T-Mobile was. I lose service in exactly the same spots! It goes with me everywhere. Got it from an Apple store (apparently Apple stores outselled iPhones 7 to 1 compared to AT&T stores).

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Hey folks,

Love and Drinks,
Lets start from the beginning. Apple didn't drop the old line and bring in a new line, they simply discontinued the 4gb and dropped the price by 200 dollars.

Secondly, the best time to buy is when you are ready. I personally went to the ATT store 5 or 6 times and played around with the iPhone each time. I didn't bring my wallet in because i didn't want to buy on impulse (which is something I usually end up doing). Each time I would go home, think about it,sleep on it,etc. Finally I went in by myself and purchased one,I am extremely happy with it.

About your worries that AT&T is going to clutter it, they wont. The same phone Apple sells, is the same one AT&T does. Apple will give you in store training on how to use the thing for the first 30 days (or so they told me when I was in there last) but AT&T doesn't clutter it up. It has an Apple logo on the back and "AT&T" in the top left hand corner of the phone. You can change that if you really want to. Other then that, nothing else is on there.

My favorite features are the visual voicemail, email capabilities and google maps. It comes in really handy when trying to find phone numbers, definitely saves money by not using 1411.

Hope that helps.

astrolux

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Thanks for all the quick replies and the grammar correction as well!

I already have AT&T so it's not a big deal in learning to have to live with their service. I was under the impression they made those with exisiting contracts pay an additional 30 bucks to have the iPhone because of the mail, GPS and other awesome features.

Well, there is an AT&T store right around the corner from my house. I guess I will bother them weekly until I feel it's a safe purchase, or my contract is completely up and I can sign up for a new one and pay the fair price that new users receive. Damn AT&T!

Thanks again!

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
The iPhone Unlimited Data plan is $20 and it makes no difference if you are a new subscriber or not, there is currently no discount on the iPhone.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Thanks for all the quick replies and the grammar correction as well!

I already have AT&T so it's not a big deal in learning to have to live with their service. I was under the impression they made those with exisiting contracts pay an additional 30 bucks to have the iPhone because of the mail, GPS and other awesome features.

Well, there is an AT&T store right around the corner from my house. I guess I will bother them weekly until I feel it's a safe purchase, or my contract is completely up and I can sign up for a new one and pay the fair price that new users receive. Damn AT&T!

Thanks again!
Welcome to the forums!

If I'm not mistaken, you don't have to wait until your current contract is up you basically just renew a 2 year contract. So if say, you're a year and a half into your current contract you could buy the iPhone and just start a new 2 year contract over.

Anyways..

If I had the choice, (which I do) to buy from ATT or Apple store, I'd choose Apple. For the simple fact, they could probably answer any questions I needed when purchased. The people at the ATT store (here anyways) really don't have a clue.

Good Luck! This is a great place to find answers to "everything iPhone".;)