When to buy iMac

Branman

Bronze
Sep 16, 2008
Hi, i am a life long pc user and want to switch it up. I am looking at a 24" iMac to replace my home pc. I know they just recently came out with the updated macbooks. My question is, is it a good time to buy an iMac or should i wait till there is an update considering there hasn't been one since april 08. I really want to get one within the next month but if you guys think i should def wait then i will. I know computers get updated all the time but im not sure if it will be worth it to wait or not. Thanks for any helpful info, Brandon

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Have you seen the Buyer's Guide over at MacRumors? I think this is a great way to check out product update probability and use it myself periodically. The iMac may be due for an update soon, but my guess is that it won't happen until MacWorld Expo at the earliest in January since Apple just updated the notebook lines yesterday and it's not typical for them to do any other updates before the holidays. Can you wait until January? If not, go ahead and buy one now - I'm sure you'll love it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Branman

Bronze
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks for the fast reply. i have checked out macrumors.com. It says its time for an update for the imac. Well i guess i can wait but my b-day is next month and my girlfriend might be getting one for me :)

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Well, congrats on making the best computer decision of your life! You'll love the Mac world. That being said, just go and get one. You'll always be a slave to "the latest and greatest" if you wait and wait. The aluminum iMacs are awesome machines and will cover your needs and then some, with the exception of the very most demanding professional needs.

Branman

Bronze
Sep 16, 2008
Yeah i think im just gonna go ahead with the current model. I def don't consider my use professional at all...lol. I mainly use my computer for the internet, sync music with my iPhone, upload pics and make some occasional movies for youtube.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Yeah i think im just gonna go ahead with the current model. I def don't consider my use professional at all...lol. I mainly use my computer for the internet, sync music with my iPhone, upload pics and make some occasional movies for youtube.
Yep I'm the same way. The benefits of waiting are nil.

Branman

Bronze
Sep 16, 2008
I just hope and i doubt this but a price drop. I guess if there is it usually isn't really a large amount.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Get it now, and make sure you get the $100 of use out of it before they have a chance to make a price drop. If you're waiting until the price drops, you're stuck on whatever you had before. Is it worth the extra $100 to you to get the best computer experience now?