When will Apple drop the price of the iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bosox097

Jul 1, 2007
I'm looking at getting an iPhone, but it's just so much money to spend. I don't want to go out and buy one and then have the price drop within a month or two. So when do you think the price of the iPhone will start to drop? Or do you think it will drop at all?

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I'm looking at getting an iPhone, but it's just so much money to spend. I don't want to go out and buy one and then have the price drop within a month or two. So when do you think the price of the iPhone will start to drop? Or do you think it will drop at all?
In my opinion, it will be a VERY long time before the price drops. Why drop the price when you can sell them all day long at the current price?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'd say next year sometime. The iPhone will stay hot through Christmas, so really no reason for Apple to drop the price. Plus, if they dropped the price, it would alienate the early adopters.

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I really don't see any reason for the price on the phone to drop for at least a year. Look at Treo's. I bought one of the first ones and it was $299, they're still not much less than that, give or take $50. This phone is so much more than the Treo and the demand is high. It's more like an iPod market, than a regular celllphone market. The reason you can get a RAZR now for $50/Free than the original $299 is because newer phones have left it in the dust and the demand for it is not as high.

With updates, the phone will increase in value. Imagine, now it's worth $599 for the 8G, the demand will only go up as features and apps are added.

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
yes it will probably stay the same till next year, and then next year they will announce the new one. They wont lower the price probably until they announce the new one.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I don't see it happening until next year minimum. I went to the Apple store in Perimeter Mall in Atlanta today and the people were two deep at the iPhone table. I'll bet they had 8 iPhones out there on cables for people to demo and the table was completely surrounded.

oriolesfan23

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Virginia
You should just buy it now. Look at it this way...lets say it drops $100 in six months...would you rather save 100 bucks and wait until then, going six whole months without the coolest phone on earth, OR would you rather just shell out the extra 100 bucks to get the phone NOW? For those of us who already have the phone, I think that answer is easy.

Britna

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
You should just buy it now. Look at it this way...lets say it drops $100 in six months...would you rather save 100 bucks and wait until then, going six whole months without the coolest phone on earth, OR would you rather just shell out the extra 100 bucks to get the phone NOW? For those of us who already have the phone, I think that answer is easy.
I wish I could get one now. ha, everywhere is sold out.

But yeah, I don't think the iPhone will have a price change until the iPhone 2.0 comes out. ;)

chunter001

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I don't see it dropping for a long time, well over a year. Just look at how Apple maintained the price of the IPods. My guess is the price will just keep going up as the hard drive space increaces.

GuyFawkes

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I would say after the holidays before you start to see any pressure to lower prices. Even then it will probably be delayed until the announcements for the new phones happen. I imagine we will all be on an upgrade path each year for the next couple of years as they offer models with GPS and 3G, larger memory etc... So I would plan on coughing up $500 or $600 a year for the next few years if you want to have the latest with all the bells and whistles. I know nobody wants to hear that, but just trying to be real about the whole thing.

Longsnowsm

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Rumor I heard says Apple was dropping 4gb and will add 16gb. 8gb for 499 and 16gb for 599. No idea if true.

tray

Jul 1, 2007
milwaukee, wi
everymoment.org
first off... if we look at Apple's history... they usually never drop the price of something. what they do is release the next "bigger/better" thing at the same price as the "old" model... so i'm sure the price will remain the same on these iPhones for a while.. just maybe more hard drive size and/or features for the same prices.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
first off... if we look at Apple's history... they usually never drop the price of something. what they do is release the next "bigger/better" thing at the same price as the "old" model... so i'm sure the price will remain the same on these iPhones for a while.. just maybe more hard drive size and/or features for the same prices.
Very well put. And 100% accurate, too.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
My guess: It ain't gonna happen (a price drop).

The pricing is based, essentially, on what you would buy otherwise for the total functionality. The iPhone is a smart phone (very smart), an 8 GB video iPod, the best mobile internet device you can buy. What's the value of those individual pieces? Are the prices on those coming down any time soon? I don't think so. Did Apple ever drop the prices of iPods? They came out with smaller iPods and bigger iPods and improved iPods. They grew that category without ever dropping their prices (as far as I know).

Personally, I think Apple can and will meet all their sales projections with full priced product. If you're waiting for the price to drop before buying, I think you're going to be waiting a very very long time.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
btw, your page scrolls very slowly on my iPhone. lol

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Yes! What Tray said! :)