When will AT&T go Nation wide with 3G

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Hopefully America will never go 3G!

The problem is supply and demand. America had a very developed land based system to communicate hence cell phones never really caught on as quick as other countries. I lived in France for a while and every time I came to America the cell phones were outdated by years (nowadays it's more like months...america has caught on). Some newer countries like China only have cell phones as the primary provider because land lines were never fully developed hence the demand chain existed. Just like America has a lot of cars compared to say Japan, in contrast Japan has a very robust train system yet no cars. Same thing with cell phones. No one needed 3G speeds in America until recently. Hopefully America will just skip 3G and go straight to 4G or higher (4G currently at 100Mbit/sec).

The reason Apple didn't include it is fairly simple:

1.) Size. The iPhone would have had been a little larger if the battery size would stay the same

2.) Battery life. 3G does consume a LOT more battery power at this time.

3.) Availability. And what I explained above is WHY it's hard to find 3G when you aren't in a major city.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
we plan to trust me. its a long process of converting/building new towers. good thing is the towers are easily upgradeable

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
btw the main reason 3g uses more battery is because it intensifies the antenna signal to find it before it diverts to edge....

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
btw the main reason 3g uses more battery is because it intensifies the antenna signal to find it before it diverts to edge....
I'd say slap a bigger battery in the next one, thicken it up a little, just a little...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'd say slap a bigger battery in the next one, thicken it up a little, just a little...

I would definitely prefer a slightly thicker iPhone if it meant even longer battery life and/or memory capacity. Going to 4G like earlier suggested would be a nice, swift jump though. Either way I think it will still take a while before 3G (or 4G) has nationwide coverage.

prmdbr

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
Hopefully America will never go 3G!

The problem is supply and demand. America had a very developed land based system to communicate hence cell phones never really caught on as quick as other countries. I lived in France for a while and every time I came to America the cell phones were outdated by years (nowadays it's more like months...america has caught on). Some newer countries like China only have cell phones as the primary provider because land lines were never fully developed hence the demand chain existed. Just like America has a lot of cars compared to say Japan, in contrast Japan has a very robust train system yet no cars. Same thing with cell phones. No one needed 3G speeds in America until recently. Hopefully America will just skip 3G and go straight to 4G or higher (4G currently at 100Mbit/sec).

The reason Apple didn't include it is fairly simple:

1.) Size. The iPhone would have had been a little larger if the battery size would stay the same

2.) Battery life. 3G does consume a LOT more battery power at this time.

3.) Availability. And what I explained above is WHY it's hard to find 3G when you aren't in a major city.
whooo oo boy, you sharp like a Hanzo sword.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I read somewhere, sorry I don't remember where, that AT&T will be upgrading data intensive areas first. In other words, where the network is getting hammered by data users on EDGE. So, if you live in a rural area, don't hold your breathe, it's gonna be a while.

Joe

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Hmm, so I would assume that means New York, LA, and the other large cities. Meh, I can wait a while, but at least I live in a somewhat large data intense city. Not Gainesville, by the way :laugh2:.

Soulquarian

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
3G is overrated in the US. Ask anyone with a 3G phone how often they get disconnected or can't use their 3G services...

I'm fine with Edge. All the way to Vegas and back and not once did I lose my internet connection!