When will iPad be a true network device?

netshadow

Bronze
Apr 21, 2007
Upstate NY
When will the iPad /iPhone be a true network device that allows one to save pictures, documents, and files to other hard drives, Mac, etc.. I believe that is the real future of the iPad device as a true network integrated handheld computer..as it is now , it is very limiting in it's performance in this regard. Perhaps in 4.0.......?!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I'm not sure what you mean. i can store pictures, documents, and files on my iPad.

netshadow

Bronze
Apr 21, 2007
Upstate NY
Correct

he means without the aid of iTunes. like a local directory.
You are correct. Goodreader does not change this either. Let's say I am browsing in Safari, would like to save a picture of my grandchild from my son in law's blog, not on my iPad but in a directory on my Mac. At the moment I cannot do this. I have heard that possibly 4.0 may allow us to do this in some applications, but not yet specified- thus, not yet, a true network device such as my iBook is to my Mac.

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
You are correct. Goodreader does not change this either. Let's say I am browsing in Safari, would like to save a picture of my grandchild from my son in law's blog, not on my iPad but in a directory on my Mac. At the moment I cannot do this. I have heard that possibly 4.0 may allow us to do this in some applications, but not yet specified- thus, not yet, a true network device such as my iBook is to my Mac.

Yup, you have a point. Although there is workaround if you have a dropbox account.

But it's still not a simple click and save procedure. It's a two or three step process.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I don't see why this is an issue. Download the pic, and email it to yourself. Or there's an app called Dropbox (free) that syncs up to 2gb of data between any devices it's installed on.

And if you have MobileMe, there's the iDisk app too.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Actually, I think the real future is having everything in the cloud and your iPad/iPhone/desktop can access it all from there.

May 7, 2010
The iPad requires a micro SIM card in order to use the 3G network. You can't use your conventional SIM 3G card and you'll have to buy another one only from AT&T.

bambam26

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I do not see a future for the feature that are mention in the thread for the iPad. You have to look at it in another side. Apple did not want to create a device that people would buy instead of getting "Macbook, Macbook Pro etc". Those products are the backbone of there company in some capacity. If everyone has OSX on there iPad people would buy a iPad and not get a Mac. While most of us would continue to buy Macbooks, iMac's and so on because we are Apple Fanatics in some capacity. A lot of the new users of mac would opt for the cheaper device with all the features which would send the company into a slump over time. Not to mention a 1 ghz processor running OSX along with the freedom to add full versions of software would cripple the device and would lead to failure for the device in the future. Those people who have been with Apple through the dark years for a lack of better words. Can understand the more cautious and slow approach to accepting new challenges with their devices. Not to mention external hard drive support would hurt the profit margins since, we all know that if you could plug a external into our iPad a lot people would buy the 16gb and not the 32gb or 64gb.

Jan 28, 2010
For me the real ideal capability of this device would be to truly become a client of my home network so that I could browse and interact with drives and libraries on other computers and network servers. You know like any other network connected computer can. I want to be able to create a document with the iPad and the save it to a network drive that I save all my documents to, just an example of what I do all the time with the net book and if the iPad is expected to replace it this capability is needed.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think you would fall in the minority of netbook and iPad users that need that feature. Not saying it's unreasonable - just not something Apple intends as a function of the iPad.

And there may even be an app for that.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
Keep in mind the iPad was "never" intended to be a replacement for laptops. :)

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
Storage and printing. Both of which are only limited by the current software. Storage is slowly becoming available on a per app basis but there are many other solutions/alternatives to this (JB only being one of the many options). Not sure why printing isn't more widely available. Generic postscript drivers will work with almost "any" network printer regardless of manufacturer but of course you'd lose access to specific printer features.

Basically there are plenty of apps that can save documents and photos (accessing the root library) to network locations already but as for "official" external hdd support, I highly doubt we'll ever see that. We might see APIs show up that allow scanning for network shares though... emphasis on might because most companies seem to be migrating towards a cloud based storage solution.

Though I personally feel that all of this really depends on what file types are natively supported by the iDevice. Allowing for external storage of files that are natively supported would kill sales of larger capacity iDevices... forcing people to save money by purchasing the smaller sized iPad (for example) and using network storage for anything in excess of the local maximum. Allowing for storage of non-supported file types isn't a part of Apple's tradition and thus eliminating their need to include the ability to search for external storage devices/shares. There just isn't enough voice in this area (not like there is in the Adobe Flash arena) to interest Apple. At least not that I've seen. Again cloud solutions seem to be more than suitable enough for most people. :p

Lennywc

May 9, 2010
The Apple USB kit ( 29.95 from Apple) will allow you to read your sdcard and plug USB devices Such as cameras into the iPad. I saw a YouTube video this am where a fellow used this USB connector to connect a hard drive to his iPad and used good reader to manipulate files to and from the hard drive . So it can be done. This USB kit is worth the 29.95 that is for sure!

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
The Apple USB kit ( 29.95 from Apple) will allow you to read your sdcard and plug USB devices Such as cameras into the iPad. I saw a YouTube video this am where a fellow used this USB connector to connect a hard drive to his iPad and used good reader to manipulate files to and from the hard drive . So it can be done. This USB kit is worth the 29.95 that is for sure!
Correct... but I said "official", meaning "without jailbreaking". :p