When will next iPhone update come out?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tupacinla

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
When is the new update coming! i know one just came out recently but I WANT an update towards the text messaging section!

mass texts, forwarding, copy paste! simple things all phones come with!

AHHHH!

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Many of us expect an update around the release of the new OS X operating system for the Mac at the end of this month. We don't know exactly what it will include.

RyanP

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
How would you guys implement a copy/paste?

I know that's been a huge gripe across iPhone users, and I think part of the reason we haven't seen it yet is that under the current interface, it's a challenging problem to figure out how to interface it (how would you highlight or select text? how would you then choose to copy selected text--vs. deleting it or something else? how would you tell it to paste text?). I would guess they'd have to expand the keyboard to include start/stop selection, copy, and paste buttons, so then real estate becomes an issue. Maybe there are other ways though.

Any other ideas? Just something to ponder.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
After the last one, never would be just fine. Let the thing settle down and the third parties worry about development. Apple is only in the way now.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
After the last one, never would be just fine. Let the thing settle down and the third parties worry about development. Apple is only in the way now.
Noooo..... Without and SDK you cannot control the system itself. To put it in layman's terms it would be like only running command prompt apps in windows, sure they work and can do batches, but without using window's SDK you cannot get in touch with adding, say, a feature in the right click menu (very useful) see where I'm going. And since something like copy paste would be a system wide needed application this just can't happen without an SDK from Apple. Plain and simple. I hope this explains it.

As far as an update, I think we may see a small one with Leopard coming out...mainly to sync "notes", but as far as your mass texting and other things I don't expect that until a large update maybe by the end of the year. No one should expect updates every month. There is just too little time to develop, test, and service an update all within 1 MONTH! Not gonna happen.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Noooo..... Without and SDK you cannot control the system itself. To put it in layman's terms it would be like only running command prompt apps in windows, sure they work and can do batches, but without using window's SDK you cannot get in touch with adding, say, a feature in the right click menu (very useful) see where I'm going. And since something like copy paste would be a system wide needed application this just can't happen without an SDK from Apple. Plain and simple. I hope this explains it.
Sure, fine, an SDK is good if that is considered an update. As they stand, updates now are synonymous with another attempt to lock down or control the phone while giving little or nothing practically useful, so not sure why we want more.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
When is the new update coming! i know one just came out recently but I WANT an update towards the text messaging section!

mass texts, forwarding, copy paste! simple things all phones come with!

AHHHH!
You're kidding, right?

Do you expect Apple to release an update every other week? It takes time to make an update. Be patient.

iversonjai

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
I thought that 1.1.1 is already unlockable...so a new software update to brick these unlocked 1.1.1 should be coming out real soon...I say 2 weeks...

I hope they make it even louder this time...I can't hear anything with my phone in my pocket...i can't listen to music while i work on the headphone so my omly option is the speaker and its so quiet...

bigviking

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Soon because of tiff exploit

Actually, I'm surprised that they haven't already come out with one since 1.1.1 just to fix the tiff exploit. Yes, this would be viewed by many as another attempt to make jailbrake more difficult, but as it stands right now, 1.1.1 is a prime target for people with malicious intent. A carefuly designed tiff exploit could do just about anything to your iPhone. It's quite shocking that Apple has yet to fix this vulnerability. My suspicion is that they have it fixed, but need to wait on some new functionality that people actually want before they release it.

spy008

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
since Apple is releasing an sdk in feb '08 I wouldn't expect to see anything from them til then. why would they update the current os when they are having to design an entirely new os to accommodate 3rd pty apps in a way that they can control them.

eswank

Sep 2, 2007
I'm guessing next Friday when Leopard is released. If not next Fridays, then a few days after the release since there's new features in Leopard that'll work for the iPhone.

rafayj

Oct 26, 2008
I think the next update will take 6 months to 12 months as i think they have improved 3G a lot, i have seen a lot of bugs being removed in 3G and a lot of more features which have been added.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
How would you guys implement a copy/paste?
Any other ideas? Just something to ponder.
i thought about this. i believe holding what you want to copy and paste and the beginning of a sentence, weblink or whatever you want until it highlights a certain color. Then slide your finger along the words that you want highlighted. One you release your finger double tap on the highlight part until a box pops up copy. To paste double tap and have a prompt box pop open that states paste. Here's an example:

Touch and hold the screen at the beginning of the word Touch. Once it highlights touch into a certain color (say blue) just slide your finger along the sentence until what you want is all blue. double tap on the highlighted sentence until a box opens copy and click on it. Easy solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.