When will the iPad mini 2 be released?

Discussion in 'iPad mini with retina display' started by swiftyboy, Aug 3, 2013.

1. swiftyboy

swiftyboy New Member

Does anyone have any idea when the new ipad mini 2 is being released ?

Sent using iCafe app

2. supersonicbaron

Bronze

Best case with the new iPhone in September, worst case Q1 2014

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

My guess is November.

4. Redhotchili

Redhotchili Member
    Bronze

Oh no! I just purchased my iPad mini 2 days ago! I'm wondering if I shouldn't return it.

Sent using iPad mini

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

6. Redhotchili

Redhotchili Member
    Bronze

Love it Napolean! It's true, u just don't know

Sent using iPad mini

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

We can't say with certainty, but it's extremely unlikely that we won't see one in October or November. The real question is will it have a Retina screen.

8. swiftyboy

swiftyboy New Member

Still no joy on a release date, is it worth getting a ipad mini or should I wait, can't wait until next year as I want one NOW ?

Sent using iCafe app

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

We won't know until next month at the soonest. Apple keeps new product information and release dates under wraps until just a few weeks before they come out. I can give you a pretty good estimate based on Apple's trends, but you'll have to decide if you want to wait or get one now. The iPad mini 2 will most likely be released in November and we'll most likely hear what the specs are in October. Personally, I would wait.

10. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I've been wavering back and forth about getting a mini as well, but I decided to wait until the 2 is released to see if it has a retina or see how much the price drops on the first gen iPad mini. I like using my 3 at home, but typically take my Nexus 7 with me since it is easier to carry.

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I picked one up about a month or two ago. Refurbished price at Walmart was low enough to jump in. I have the Nexus 7, but my iPad mini gets significantly more usage, mostly due to a preference for apps on iOS.

12. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I've had the Nexus 7 for a year now and even had to send it in to Asus about 2 months ago due to a reboot loop that I couldn't clear. I like the ability the get a different perspective with Android, but I do prefer iOS hands down and do look forward to getting an iPad mini, if I can hold out for the 2, lol.

13. swiftyboy

swiftyboy New Member

Thanks All, seems sensible to hang fire and wait, let's hope it does have the retina display been reading a lot if forums and it seems to be 50/50 vote on it having it ?

Sent using iCafe app

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They are guessing. We could guess too, but the bottom line is that we won't know for sure until October.

15. Redhotchili

Redhotchili Member
    Bronze

@ Europa & others who may know: I am going to take your advice (you suggested to another icafe'er instead of getting the iPad mini now, u would hold off until the new one comes out). I just got this iPad mini, and have 2 weeks to return it from date of purchase.

My only thing is, is when I looked at the retina display on the iPad, I really much preferred the look of the non-retina display on this iPad mini. The salesman agreed as I was gonna get the iPad but liked brightness on mini. What is the hype regarding retina display? I don't understand. Is it supposed to be easier on the eyes (my eyes blur easily as I'm getting older even with prescription reading anti-glare/computer lens).

Will there be anything else besides retina display on iPad mini coming out that u know of?

I love this iPad mini, and will miss it after I return it today.

Sent using iPad mini

16. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It will likely have an upgraded processor, but that will serve to help drive all the pixels in the retina display. The iPad mini (in its current form) is a performer. I suspect the iPad mini 2 goes retina, performance will be on par, but not exceed the current model. If I were to guess, the camera is ripe for improvement. As someone who never takes photos with a tablet of any kind, that doesn't hold my interest. Herein lies the problem for Apple. If an iPad mini does not include a retina display, will the performance gains and improvements to the camera be sufficient to drive upgrades? Probably not. It'll continue to sell well, but you won't have people jumping to get the new model.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Retina screens are clearer, more crisp and easier to see. Non-Retina is more pixelated and blurry by comparison. You'll definitely want to choose Retina if you have a choice, so returning the mini now is a good choice.

18. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I sold a mini I purchased recently for $250.00 16GB Black for $300 :D

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Nice profit! I need to sell my mini soon.

20. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Thanks, it's funny, I was just commenting to a coworker how I wanted to sell my mini before gen 2 was out and she was like "how much?", I just threw a number and she said "I'll take it!", I was like "ehhhhh...ok!" :D