When?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

clausenfan

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
I wish Apple would just tell us when the next phone was coming, i originally thought there would be a small like 16 gig release update. Now that holiday shopping is less than 2 days from starting up big time i don't see it happening anymore. I hope they at least say something at macworld about V2.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
They probably won't say a word, until they're ready to release it to the world. That's how Apple plays it.

But the fact is, they just released the iPhone in europe this past week, so I don't forsee any V2 hardware aaaany time soon. If you're hankering for an iPhone at some point in the next year, I'm guessing you're going to have to "settle" for the original.

It's really not that bad, ya know...

Besides what would they add, hardware-wise, that would obsolete the V1 iPhone? Sure, more storage, 3G (which will be more $$$/mo and more drain on the battery), maybe built-in GPS..... but other than that, I don't need much more resolution or a bigger screen or anything else hardware-wise ... do you? Maybe better stereo speakers? I'm reaching here...

The point it, they will likely continue to support the original iPhone for years after introducing V2 as it's such a blank slate and software-upgradeable. I think the two will co-exist for quiet some time.

And finally a prediction: re:GPS.... instead of putting it on the phone, Apple will just add bluetooth GPS support and come out with iGPS or iWorld or whatever which will be super flat and clip on invisibly to the back of the iPhone. Mark my words!

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
And it will have some really cool new features. I wonder if they will follow the same type of schedule as they did with version 1. From what I can tell if won't be any earlier than March of 2008.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Are you sure? We are already building products for iPhone V2.
This doesn't mean they are gonna use it on iPhone2. They may use what you're working for on the iPhone that are being produced right now. I work in marketing for a high tech company and i can tell you that from a sales/marketing standpoint you just can't launch a product such as the iPhone and launch the version 2 a year later. The life cycle of such a product is AT LEAST 2 years. Think about it, Apple didn't come up with a new iPod every year. I believe there are 5 versions of the iPod and this is on 10 year period of time!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I will say that if they do introduce new hardware that quickly, they need to concurrently support and update the V1 hardware like they have with the older ipods.

They're talking about wanting to sell 10 million iPhones by the end of 2008, you really think they would abandon all those customers?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm sure I already know the answer to this but, if the original iPhone owners, ie. us, purchase a new iPhone 2 before our contracts expire, are we going to have to extend for another 2 years? I really don't see why we can't just use the new iPhone 2 until the contract is up and THEN decide to extend or not.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
This doesn't mean they are gonna use it on iPhone2. They may use what you're working for on the iPhone that are being produced right now. I work in marketing for a high tech company and i can tell you that from a sales/marketing standpoint you just can't launch a product such as the iPhone and launch the version 2 a year later. The life cycle of such a product is AT LEAST 2 years. Think about it, Apple didn't come up with a new iPod every year. I believe there are 5 versions of the iPod and this is on 10 year period of time!
Sure they can. There is only one iPhone right now. The 4 Gig was cut from production. They could easily sell V1 (Ours), V1.5 (16 Gig), and a V2.0 (GPS etc) version. Look at Garmin. I have a Nuvi 660 that was top of the line in January when I bought it at a cost of $900.00. Now there are at least 10 more Nuvi versions with various features and my version is selling for around $500.00 or less.

The Cell phone industry is a very fast moving market as you well know. Gaining market share from this industry is tough. Look at the upcoming competition. Everyone is working on a phone that mimics the iPhone ;)

Cheers,

Will

Sep 29, 2007
As of now the iPhone is not released and everyone is able to find out when its released without Apple announcing it. All you have to do is check up on the FDA where everyone is able to see every product being released. The instant when you see a new iPhone from Apple you can bet a new version is coming out. It takes 2-3 months for the iPhone to pass so you have plenty of time to see if its there. It will not disappear from the FDA within 24 hours.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
As of now the iPhone is not released and everyone is able to find out when its released without Apple announcing it. All you have to do is check up on the FDA where everyone is able to see every product being released. The instant when you see a new iPhone from Apple you can bet a new version is coming out. It takes 2-3 months for the iPhone to pass so you have plenty of time to see if its there. It will not disappear from the FDA within 24 hours.
why the heck would it be on the FDA site? its not food nor drug...the FCC maybe you were thinking about