Where are all my pdf's in iBooks?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by EverythingApple, Nov 30, 2014.

1. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Opened up iBooks for the first time on my iPhone 6 and all my saved pdf's are gone. They were there on my 5. And saved in iCloud. What now?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Did you switch to PDF view?
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

3. EverythingApple

Gold

4. alicepattinson

Bronze

I do also experienced this. PDF's sometimes gone like a wind. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Open the iBooks app on your Mac and go to Collections and then PDFs. Are they listed there?

If they are there but not on your phone, do you have iCloud Drive toggled on in the iCloud settings on your phone?

6. EverythingApple

Gold

I don't have iCloud Drive activated.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You didn't answer my first question, but going with your partial reply, I think that's the problem. It's on on your Mac, but not your phone. It has to be the same service to sync them to your phone. Check if it's on in iCloud in the Settings app on your Mac. You'll need to change from Documents and Data to iCloud Drive if you want to sync that stuff

8. NickB

NickB Member
    Bronze

My ibooks hasn't been syncing books (pdf's) across my devices either, and I just checked in iCloud settings on my mac and iPhone 6 and don't see ibooks anywhere in there. And iCloud drive is turned on. any ideas?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Is iCloud Drive enabled on the iPad/iPhone?

10. NickB

NickB Member
    Bronze

Yeah, it says "on" in settings for iCloud. I assume its on on the mac because I see an iCloud drive section in Finder

11. EverythingApple

Gold

The MacBook I used to backup/restore my iPhone is a mid-2007. It doesn't have iBooks on it. Unless it's in iTunes. I can check the iCloud.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Open the iBooks app on your Mac and go to Collections and then PDFs. Are they listed there? If not, go to File > Move Books from iTunes.
    It's no longer included in iTunes. They made it a stand-alone app with Mavericks. iBooks requires Mavericks. Since your computer is too old to run Mavericks, you may not be able to sync .PDFs through iCloud anymore. You can still recover them, though. Are your .PDFs listed here? Can you select them to sync them though iTunes?
    Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 8.53.20 AM.png

If they aren't listed there, use Finder to recover them. Go to the Books folder here:
    Finder > Go to Folder > ~/library > Containers > com.apple.BKAgentservice > Data > Documents > iBooks > Books. You can drag the .PDFs to your desktop from there.

13. EverythingApple

Gold

Some are there, but not the most recent ones that I'm looking for. It's not that important. I presume the iBooks folder on my iPhone, is where I should look where you mention going to finder above??

14. NickB

NickB Member
    Bronze

Europa, my problem is a little different than EverythingApple's, I have all my pdfs in ibooks on all my devices (not missing like he states). Some I had put in ibooks on the mac, some on the iPhone, but i synced the devices collections through iTunes. The problem I have is that a pdf put into iBooks on my iPhone would not show up automatically on the mac or my iPad unless I synced through iTunes. The weird thing is, If I read one on any device and then later open that pdf on another device, it does go to the page I left off on from the first device, so it seems like its partially syncing?

I just thought the problems may be related so I posted here.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, I posted the file location on a Mac. Let me know if they are there.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You have to put them on the computer first if you want them to sync to all of your other devices. Once they are on all devices, the page location, highlights, etc. will sync across devices through iCloud.

17. EverythingApple

Gold

Says no folder exists.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The file location may be diffrent for Mountain Lion or whatever OS version you're running.

19. EverythingApple

Gold

I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.8, Snow Leopard.

20. NickB

NickB Member
    Bronze

So a PDF added to ibooks on the mac should show up on iPhone and iPad via cloud, but added on the mobile devices won't show up on the mac then?