Where can I get an iPhone 4

tom112089

Bronze
Jul 30, 2010
ok my 3gs is 2 and a half years old and is pretty much on its last leg. i tried to get help on here to fix it but didn't get much help. basically its jailbroken but i have to keep it in safemode just to use it. if i take it out it just reboots by itself and then wont turn on until i plug it in. people said it could be a battery issue but i already changed it and its still doing the same thing is there anywhere i can get an iPhone 4 and not spend $500 for an unlocked phone. i don't need an unlocked phone i have AT&T. all the ones im seeing are all like 500 dollars and most are unlocked. does any one have a used iPhone 4 that simply works that i can buy privately? 1 so i don't have to pay an astronomical price for a used item and 2 so i don't have to waste my 2 year contract upgrade on a 4s if the 5 is comming out in a few months. i just want somthing to hold me over till i can get the new one later. if no one has one where can i look?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No point in buying a used and unlocked iPhone 4 at actual value when you can buy a locked and subsidized 4S for $199. You can then sell the 4S for $400 on Craigslist next fall when the next iPhone comes out and upgrade to it with partial subsidy for $450. That's only $50 out of pocket next fall. You'll lose more than that now if you buy an unlocked iPhone 4 at actual value. But if you still want to get a 4 and save your upgrade, you should be able to find one that's locked to AT&T for $300 on Craigslist.

tom112089

Bronze
Jul 30, 2010
well it rebooted in safemode today so that didn't help. should i just get a new battery? i don't understand what you mean get a subsidized 4s for 199 then sell it for 400 and the partial subsidy thing.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
well it rebooted in safemode today so that didn't help. should i just get a new battery? i don't understand what you mean get a subsidized 4s for 199 then sell it for 400 and the partial subsidy thing.
I would get a 4S.

A 16 GB 4S that is locked to AT&T costs $199. A 16 GB 4S that is unlocked or contract-free costs $650. The actual value of the phone is much higher than you pay. The carrier subsidizes it. This means that they pay about $450 and you pay $199 of the $650. The benefit to the carrier is that they are locking you into a contract for two years and they will make money from you for that duration. If you cancel the contract early, you have to pay them as much as $325, which will make up for the cost of the subsidization they gave you. So you buy it for $199, but it's worth $650. You then sell it to someone who is willing to pay actual value after a year (because they don't want to lock themselves into a contract or aren't eligible for upgrade). The used 4S will probably be worth about $400 this fall. You won't be eligible for full subsidy so soon, but you will be eligible for partial subsidy (a $200 discount instead of a $450 discount), which is $450 so you'll only have to pay around $50 for the next iPhone after you sell your old one for $400. What this means is that you can upgrade for free or close to free every year as long as you are with AT&T and willing to sell your old one on craigslist.

tom112089

Bronze
Jul 30, 2010
I would get a 4S.

A 16 GB 4S that is locked to AT&T costs $199. A 16 GB 4S that is unlocked or contract-free costs $650. The actual value of the phone is much higher than you pay. The carrier subsidizes it. This means that they pay about $450 and you pay $199 of the $650. The benefit to the carrier is that they are locking you into a contract for two years and they will make money from you for that duration. If you cancel the contract early, you have to pay them as much as $325, which will make up for the cost of the subsidization they gave you. So you buy it for $199, but it's worth $650. You then sell it to someone who is willing to pay actual value after a year (because they don't want to lock themselves into a contract or aren't eligible for upgrade). The used 4S will probably be worth about $400 this fall. You won't be eligible for full subsidy so soon, but you will be eligible for partial subsidy (a $200 discount instead of a $450 discount), which is $450 so you'll only have to pay around $50 for the next iPhone after you sell your old one for $400. What this means is that you can upgrade for free or close to free every year as long as you are with AT&T and willing to sell your old one on craigslist.
thankyou for clearing that up :) ill look into that

Are you update to the newest 5.0.1 an jailbroken on that?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app
yes i have the old bootrom for the 3gs so i have an untethered 5.0.1. i did it when 5.0.1 came out with snowbreeze.

flatbacks21

Bronze
Sep 21, 2010
Ohio
I called around the local best buys, radio shacks, and walmarts in my area and found the wife an iPhone 4 16gb for $99.. best buy had a handful left they wanted to move. It was brand new (not refurb) and came loaded with iOS 4.3.. I simply upgraded to the newest iOS and she was pleased.. Wasn't concerned about the bells and whistles of the 4s.. May be worth a shot. Good luck.