Where did you buy your iPhone?

I am soon switching from VZW Treo 650 to iPhone and I'm curious as to where people bought there iPhone. For some the answer is obvious, but here is a little background. I'm comfortable with Apple. I've always used Apple computers and it's why I'm interested in purchasing. My biggest concern is with ATT. I feel like buying there because they will be able to answer questions about store policy, network, etc. I've been with VZW for 6 years now. I've been in and out of ATT store a few times, and unless no one else is there, I get ignored. I'm 26 and plan to use iPhone primarily as businesss tool. Are ATT employees excited about carrying the device, or are they annoyed? I understand they may get a lot of traffic of people just wanting to play with display phone. I think I'm going to Apple store, and research the web for ATT info. But if I get a nice sales rep at ATT, I'm sure they make commission. What are your recommendations?

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
I bought mine at a AT&T store, but anytime you get unskilled kids to do a job, most ( not all, so don't get offended! ) kids don't care about anything other than getting paid. Biggest thing I would do is ask around about how the Service is in your area, My area is great and been with Cingular/AT&T for years. But if you have any questions about the phone, you can pretty much ask here.. Everyone here is pretty knowledgeable about the phone and contracts.

Hope this helps!

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
If you have questions about service, it's probably best to ask other users. Ask if you can borrow their phone, and see if you get reception where you need it. Cell phone store employees GENERALLY have no idea what they're talking about.

I bought mine at the Apple store. At least at my local store, the Apple employees are VERY excited about the iPhone. I walked out of there feeling like a celebrity.

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Bought mine online at Apple store. Me personally - I'll go in to the AT&T store (only 10 minutes away) for accessories only.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I am soon switching from VZW Treo 650 to iPhone and I'm curious as to where people bought there iPhone. For some the answer is obvious, but here is a little background. I'm comfortable with Apple. I've always used Apple computers and it's why I'm interested in purchasing. My biggest concern is with ATT. I feel like buying there because they will be able to answer questions about store policy, network, etc. I've been with VZW for 6 years now. I've been in and out of ATT store a few times, and unless no one else is there, I get ignored. I'm 26 and plan to use iPhone primarily as businesss tool. Are ATT employees excited about carrying the device, or are they annoyed? I understand they may get a lot of traffic of people just wanting to play with display phone. I think I'm going to Apple store, and research the web for ATT info. But if I get a nice sales rep at ATT, I'm sure they make commission. What are your recommendations?
ATT store - yesterday my experience was a joke. Maybe I didn't look like I wanted to throw away a couple of hundred dollars; I'm not sure. I am not a kid by any measure that just wanted to come in and "play" with a new toy.

The CSR(s) didn't break a sweat in an attempt to ask, "can I help you." If anything, they were going after an old guy...close to 70 yrs old trying to get him to buy an iPhone. The first thing the man said was that he didn't have a computer and if he did, knew nothing about them. All the CSR talked about was connecting his (not yet purchased iPhone) to iTunes.

BTW, there was only ONE employee with an iPhone.

By this time, I had already decided I wanted nothing from this particular store, so I left; but not before telling the old guy that if he knew nothing about computers, what was he going to do with an iPhone. His wife spoke up then and said..... this is EXACTLY why he doesn't need one. She took his hand, and they left.

CSRguy said to me that I cost him a sale. I said...SO! then left and went to the Apple store.

NOW there you are treated like a celebrity. EVERY employee in the store I was in was sporting an iPhone. Are the excited about them?...HELL FREAKIN" yes!

They cant wait to show you all they can do with it. I watched a family of 4 walk out with their new iPhones and each of them were smiling so huge; like those white Apple bags with the gray Apple logo were......PRICELESS!

NMprofessional

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Rochester NY
Carrjar,
Any product I have bought from the Apple Store I have had a good experience 90% of the time - which is very good in my book. When I bought my iPhone, it was in and out procedure at the Apple Store. Very happy with my experiences with Apple Stores. (Side note: But keep in mind if you are using the iPhone as a "businesss tool", just make sure it has the functionality out of the box that you need. Waiting for "apps that may come" can be a long tedious wait.)

Scandelex,
Did you decide to get one? If so, how do you like it?

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Scandelex,
Did you decide to get one? If so, how do you like it?
I decided some time ago to get one; just haven't gotten it yet. Maybe next weekend. I was in there to buy the new nano (birthday present) for my daughter-in-law.

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Bought mine at an AT&T store with no trouble whatsoever.

I would hope that the Apple employees are excited about the iPhone. If not, we would have a problem.

I agree that a lot of CSR's don't understand the smart phones all that well. I have spent time in the stores helping customers understand the phones and how they work. But, having PDA's since the first color Palm came out, I have a little background that is specific to that market. The CSR's have to learn new phones all the time and not just the smart phones. With each new phone comes new and fancier feature. I fault AT&T management for not preparing CSR's well in advance of the releases.

I will say this, as helpful as the Apple store people are, I got passed off to several trying to get some clarifications on the computers and still left with questions not answered. I didn't go out and tell everyone how inept Apple was.

The biggest problem that I see with buyers is that they don't educate themselves before trying to make a purchase. They come in blind and then expect someone else to know everything. And, when it doesn't work as advertised or as the consumer thinks it should, they fault everyone else. Most people don't have the patience to learn things on their own.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Bought mine at an AT&T store with no trouble whatsoever.

I would hope that the Apple employees are excited about the iPhone. If not, we would have a problem.

I agree that a lot of CSR's don't understand the smart phones all that well. I have spent time in the stores helping customers understand the phones and how they work. But, having PDA's since the first color Palm came out, I have a little background that is specific to that market. The CSR's have to learn new phones all the time and not just the smart phones. With each new phone comes new and fancier feature. I fault AT&T management for not preparing CSR's well in advance of the releases.

I will say this, as helpful as the Apple store people are, I got passed off to several trying to get some clarifications on the computers and still left with questions not answered. I didn't go out and tell everyone how inept Apple was.

The biggest problem that I see with buyers is that they don't educate themselves before trying to make a purchase. They come in blind and then expect someone else to know everything. And, when it doesn't work as advertised or as the consumer thinks it should, they fault everyone else. Most people don't have the patience to learn things on their own.
I agree. By the time I am ready to make a purchase, I have more knowledge under my hat than the guy trying to make the sale. Good thing for me that they just cant tell me anything.

At least if it doesn't work the way I expected, it wont come as a huge surprise becaue I will have known these things in advance.