Where do you get your music?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

TMaples

Sep 20, 2007
I am in the mood for some new music. I usually buy an entire CD at a time. Off iTunes, its about a dollar per song. However, you can get the used CD off amazon for 4 dollars. I went to amazon and got about 7 CDs and the price was 31 dollars. However, since it all shipped from 7 different places, the shipping was another 20 dollars for a net price of 51 dollars. I have a feeling there has to be somewhere cheaper. The only CD store around here is FYE which is EXPENSIVE and doesn't have very much older stuff. Legally, how do you get your music?

bbguy5

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Rolling Meadows, IL
I am in the mood for some new music. I usually buy an entire CD at a time. Off iTunes, its about a dollar per song. However, you can get the used CD off amazon for 4 dollars. I went to amazon and got about 7 CDs and the price was 31 dollars. However, since it all shipped from 7 different places, the shipping was another 20 dollars for a net price of 51 dollars. I have a feeling there has to be somewhere cheaper. The only CD store around here is FYE which is EXPENSIVE and doesn't have very much older stuff. Legally, how do you get your music?

limewire FTW

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Only iTunes for me but I suspect I'm in the minority :)

ajmatson

Sep 12, 2007
I have picked up some from eBay for a couple of bucks but you have to take what you get because I have gotten some scratched ones.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
if you need to boost your music collection quickly, try some podcasts.

etown - acoustic, folk, world music - recent shows include Ben Harper and James Taylor

stonesthrow - jazzish, downtempo trip hop, hiphop, funk, soul

ropeadope - quality music of all types

smithsonian - folk and world - includes leonard cohen, woody guthrie

There's gotta be something you like from NPR's Live in Concert series...Paul Simon, Modest Mouse, Cat Power? Polyphonic Spree, Bjork, Arcade Fire?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4627437

There's a ton of free music out there if you've got your ears open and your eyes to the ground.

mrgisriel

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I use to get ALL my music from iTunes but then i decided at a buck a song it gets pretty expensive after a while so now i use other means to get my music :)

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
see this is the reason why those company/artist only drive one ferrari and not 2...

nah i use limewire too
i only have michelle branch cd and sum 41 boy was i a fan and outta my whole collection i got 2 album and rest friend burn them from me

Coodie

Jul 16, 2007
Minnetonka, MN
coodie.com
Seeq

Anyone else tried just using SeeqPod's iPhone website to get music from? It's pretty easy. Search for a song, and when the song starts playing the url for the mp3 is in the address bar. Then it's just a matter of downloading it to your computer and putting it on iTunes =) Works for me. Or even the original SeeqPod site, they display the url that the song is coming from

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Well i started my free music source as a child. You see i have molded my sisters taste in music so perfectly to mine that if i say "we" need a cd then most likely she will rush out and buy it.

Thus making me one if those elite, music buyers (n_n; )

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
iTunes, for the most part. Often if they don't have what I'm looking for, no one else does either, so I end up buying the CD (this is usually for overseas releases). That I do on Amazon.com.

pounce

Jul 20, 2007
the original poster asked for legal sources of music.

neither limewire nor newsgroups are that.

iTunes is, and so is amazon. probably my main two sources in that order. plus local music stores and cdbaby.

there is a longer discussion that i'm not interested in having here about why the idea that everyone in the music industry has multiple expensive cars, but that is so wrong and ignorant it's barely worth addressing. the legal and ethical ramifications of taking something without paying for it are well established and obvious. the word i seek to introduce here is patronage, if you want to hear music from an artist, than support that artist by buying a copy of the music. it's the only way that you can be a fan.

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
the original poster asked for legal sources of music.

neither limewire nor newsgroups are that.

iTunes is, and so is amazon. probably my main two sources in that order. plus local music stores and cdbaby.

there is a longer discussion that i'm not interested in having here about why the idea that everyone in the music industry has multiple expensive cars, but that is so wrong and ignorant it's barely worth addressing. the legal and ethical ramifications of taking something without paying for it are well established and obvious. the word i seek to introduce here is patronage, if you want to hear music from an artist, than support that artist by buying a copy of the music. it's the only way that you can be a fan.
I forgot cdbaby! Love that one, thanks for posting it.

You're completely right about the "multiple cars" thing. It really bugs me. Justifying pirated music because Britney Spears has more money than she knows what to do with is ridiculous. If they want to steal music ONLY from those ridiculously-rich artists, it's a different story (though still not ok), but people use that argument to justify stealing music from EVERY artist out there... many of whom are barely "scraping by" as it is.

Not to mention all the other employees in the music production food chain. Does Johnny copy-boy have to suffer, too?

Sorry, I know you said you're not interested in having that discussion here (I'm sure no one else is, either). I need to learn how to keep my durn mouth shut!

joerj11

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Yahoo Music

I use Yahoo’s Music Unlimited To Go service. It’s about $12 a month and I get access to just about everything they have. After I download a new song(s) I run Fair Use Commander to remove the DRM so I can import it into iTunes.

I subscribe to the To Go service because I feel like it’s the right thing to do. I’m paying for the right to take it with me on a portable device. It’s too bad I need to run software like Fair Use Commander just to get it on my iPhone though. I wish the music industry would get together on this whole DRM mess and get it straightened out. Either use one system or get rid of it all together. Until then, I’m not going to let their stupidity keep me from listening to the music I pay for.

divabimbers

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Arizona
There's four places I would say I get my music from regularly though one of them is new.

iTMS (natch)
Rhapsody (I agree with the previous poster about the music industry needing to get their act together since this is just crazy how they're going about with things)
CNet's Download site (they have free MP3s of obscure artists which is nice for finding new music)
Amazon's new MP3 store (DRM free so compatible with iTunes as well which is nice!)

volcomguysd

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
check it...

Screw Limewire and their virus infested crap that's not usually what they say it is....

*cough* TORRENTS! *cough*

Or if you feel like paying for songs you know are quality, go to a site like musicmp3.ru or pretty much any mp3 ending in .ru

They generally only charge about 10 cents per song and you can load your account from PayPal so you don't have to worry about giving them your credit card #

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
I've been using iTunes ever since I got my phone. But was thinking of looking for a monthly fee/all you want music program. I also want the album covers and everything to work. Will other program's music work on my iPhone?