Where in the World are the Photo Wallpapers

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Michael Baturin, May 7, 2015.

1. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Anyone remember these from the keynote promo video's? Have I missed them or are they not available in Watch OS 1.0?

1.jpg

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I've seen this discussed elsewhere, here are the plausible theories I've seen.

1) the predominantly black faces that came with the Apple Watch drain the battery significantly less than a full wallpaper due to the nature of OLED screens. I just don't know what the actual difference in power draw is on OLED screens. My gut says it would be negligible, but who knows.

2) Apple only chose black faces because they blend in with the bezel. If I had to pick one reason it would be this one - black faces simply look better, essentially bezel-less.

3) Apple prevented custom pic faces because they wanted to control the trademark of their new product, despite calling it their most personal product ever. Also possible, especially considering how iPhones went without custom wallpapers for two years.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Michael Baturin

Gold

Interesting theories. I'm OK with all of them. The photos we're a bit mis-leading though.

4. Michael Baturin

Gold

Another interesting theory I read was that Apple doesn't want people's initial impressions of the watch being shown pictures of it with shall we say, NSFW images, on the watch face. Makes sense. If people are going to see the watch for the first time, they want them to see it with one of their own watch faces. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Mickey Mouse and butterflies are a go. I haven't seen much else other than clock faces.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

yeah, that's what I meant with #3.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There was one flower background in the iPhone 6 Keynote that still is not available. I did an image search for it a while back, but all I could find was the angled screenshot from the Keynote, which wouldn't be optimal for Photoshopping a version of it.

#7 Europa, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
  8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The orange flower? I searched long and hard for it. This was my attempt to photoshop it.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431056720.294359.jpg

#8 Ledsteplin, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
  9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, I couldn't find and original with the correct angle and high resolution. Yours looks like a screenshot from the keynote that was Photoshopped.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It is. I looked everywhere for it as you did. They had all those other flowers, but this one was nowhere to be found.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Now I see the red arrows. I missed them earlier because I was on my phone and didn't zoom in on the picture. It's just the scenery pictures that are missing. Yeah, they look bad and don't blend in with the bezel. I see what acosmichippo meant. Knowing which ones were left out leads me to change my reply. I thought the flower and butterfly were missing, which look great. I don't think Apple will add the scenery pictures in at some point. I think Apple decided to leave them out because the scenery pictures showcase how small the screen is. Wallpapers with black backgrounds make the screen look bigger than it really is.

12. Michael Baturin

Gold

Maybe I'm in the minority here, I'm not sure, but I didn't take those scenery backgrounds to mean "You can choose from a set of canned scenery backgrounds." I thought those represented custom wallpapered watch faces.

13. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

At least some of them were supposed to be preloaded time-lapse scenes (like Big Ben). I think the idea was the time of day change would change automatically and you'd be able to scroll forwards and back with the digital crown, like the Astronomy and Solar watchfaces

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

That's what I thought them to be as well. It was like they were saying, "Use your own wallpapers!".

15. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

It's too bad, I was hoping for a custom watch face like we saw during the demo on the original unveiling keynote (looked like he had his wife as one of the watch faces when scrolling through). I would have loved to draw my own watch face.