Where to buy new 3G

alcharger

Aug 1, 2009
I'm sure this question has been asked thousands of times, I just could not locate any threads that would guide us on where to purchase a 3g phone.

Our contract has expired from At&t and we would like to own 2 iPhones.

I think I need to keep my $30.00 data feature for businesss email but my wife would like to use the wireless feature and does not need the data feature.

Where should we buy?

Thanks for your help :D

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
You can get them from Apple, AT&T, Best Buy, or Walmart. You can't use an iPhone on AT&T without putting the $30 data plan on the line, though.

alcharger

Aug 1, 2009
Yes AT&T.

What kind of iPhone quality are people getting when buying off say Ebay or the like?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
eBay purchases will of course depend mostly on the reputation of the seller. You can get screwed over on eBay and have little or no recourse, whereas if you get screwed over by Apple or AT&T, there are lines of communication you can take to get your issue resolved. If you are currently out of contract, your prices on the new 3G or 3GS are the lowest they can get for new phones. There should be no reason to have to go through eBay or craigslist.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
You can buy a V1 for over $200 and a 3G for over $300

I have a 3G I can sell you ;)

alcharger

Aug 1, 2009
Thanks for answering my newbie questions.

One more, if we bought an iPhone from say Best Buy, without their plan, could we put in the sim card, AT&T, and start using the phone?

Yes, we want to avoid the $30.00 per month data charge my wife will not be using!

You can get them from Apple, AT&T, Best Buy, or Walmart. You can't use an iPhone on AT&T without putting the $30 data plan on the line, though.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
The only way to buy it new without a plan is full price, $400 more, and then you still wouldn't be able to use it on AT&T without the data plan. The moment the SIM goes in, it shows up in the servers that you are using an iPhone, and depending on their mood, the alignment of the planets, etc, AT&T may either charge pay-per-use data, forcibly add on a $30 data plan, or disable the account for TOS voilation.

alcharger

Aug 1, 2009
Three more reasons to hate AT&T! We decided to start with a 3g and play with it. IF my wife just has to have one we will get the second.

Again, thank you for educating a newbie to iPhone world.

The only way to buy it new without a plan is full price, $400 more, and then you still wouldn't be able to use it on AT&T without the data plan. The moment the SIM goes in, it shows up in the servers that you are using an iPhone, and depending on their mood, the alignment of the planets, etc, AT&T may either charge pay-per-use data, forcibly add on a $30 data plan, or disable the account for TOS voilation.

Owtlaw

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks for answering my newbie questions.

One more, if we bought an iPhone from say Best Buy, without their plan, could we put in the sim card, AT&T, and start using the phone?

Yes, we want to avoid the $30.00 per month data charge my wife will not be using!
You can get your wife an iPod Touch.