Where Were You On June 29, 2007?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
This certainly isn't an original idea, but I thought it would be cool to see where everyone was and what they were doing on this date, since we're celebrating the sixth anniversary of the original iPhone's release.

I was standing in front of the AT&T store in Lanham, MD, the first in line. After about a six-hour wait (the store closed at 4:30 and reopened at six), they finally let us inside five at a time (the line had grown to about 70). I purchased my iPhone and left the store to applause from the rest of the folks in line outside. First in, first out.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I wish I could say I was waiting in a line, but I was home using my Sanyo Katana flip phone, perusing reef tank forums and uninterested in cellular technology. I probably hadn't even heard of the new smart phone that was being launched that day.

But by spring I was sold on it and really wanted a 2G, but I decided to wait for the next version since it was right around the corner. On July 11th 2008, I got up at 2:00 am to go get in line for the 3G. That was the best $300 I've ever spent.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I was driving by my local AT&T store (in Glouster Twnshp NJ) and saw the long line. I had no plans on getting an iPhone right away, but I decided to join the group and get an iPhone! I got in line, and they told me I would receive the last iPhone they had in stock (they asked everyone in line how many they were buying). I got to the front and the guy in front of me decided he wanted 2 instead of 1. My head almost blew off. I ordered my Phone and received it less than a week later I remember. Couple funny things that happened:

The AT&T store had a Subway sharing the building with it next door. Some people drove by, put their window down, and asked the line what was going on. Someone in line yelled "Subways giving out free subs!" Everyone laughed.

I also remember someone yelling "I can smell it!" as the first person walked out of the store with bag in hand and iPhone in bag haha.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I got to the front and the guy in front of me decided he wanted 2 instead of 1. My head almost blew off.
This woman made a lot off heads blow off. Fortunately, she hadn't researched the rules of sale before she bought her way to the head of the line. She got what she deserved. You may have seen this before, but it's worth posting again.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
This woman made a lot off heads blow off. Fortunately, she hadn't researched the rules of sale before she bought her way to the head of the line. She got what she deserved. You may have seen this before, but it's worth posting again.

Good for the guy in the first spot haha. Yeah guy in front of me had someone with him, so 1 per person became 2 iPhones pretty quickly. Head, exploded.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I was on line at Roosevelt Field Mall in Garden City. Back then the line run up into a parking lot. The Apple Store has since moved. The line for new products now leaves in complete darkness.

gadgetguy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
This certainly isn't an original idea, but I thought it would be cool to see where everyone was and what they were doing on this date, since we're celebrating the sixth anniversary of the original iPhone's release.

I was standing in front of the AT&T store in Lanham, MD, the first in line. After about a six-hour wait (the store closed at 4:30 and reopened at six), they finally let us inside five at a time (the line had grown to about 70). I purchased my iPhone and left the store to applause from the rest of the folks in line outside. First in, first out.

gadgetguy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
OK! I was on my boat anchored just off shore in the river in downtown Portland, Oregon. I ordered my iPhone via wifi using a wifi antenna I made from a soup can on a tripod on the boat. Got the confirmation then took the skiff to shore for a drink to celebrate!

Adriano73

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2012
UK
I can't remember actually. What I can remember though is where I was on the day of Steve Jobs' keynote at Macworld 2007. I was watching Steve Jobs' keynote at Macworld. Unforgettable.

"An iPod, a phone, an internet communicator. An iPod, a phone... these are NOT three separate devices! This is one device!"

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I can't remember actually. What I can remember though is where I was on the day of Steve Jobs' keynote at Macworld 2007. I was watching Steve Jobs' keynote at Macworld. Unforgettable.

"An iPod, a phone, an internet communicator. An iPod, a phone... these are NOT three separate devices! This is one device!"
I always used to tell my brother, "I just need a phone to make phone calls. I don't need texting and I don't need the internet. Just a phone. That's all."

Then he showed me the keynote. :D

Marc_

Bronze
Mar 2, 2011
I didn't own any Apple devices then. Now I have a house full of them. I remember watching the keynote and just being blown away by this massive technology leap

Sent using iCafe app

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
i didn't get an iPhone until the 3G, but I remember watching the local news showing people standing in line...I had my TREO 750