Where were you when important history was made?

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
A documentary we saw last fall on the American Space program called In the Shadow of the Moon makes me remember how excited I was to be allowed to stay up past midnight to see the lunar landing.

It made me think about other significant times in history and where I was. What about everyone here?

Q: Where were you when JFK was shot?
A: I was just a baby

Q: When we landed on the moon?
A: See above

Q: When the Challenger blew up?
A: I was at work watching the launch live. When it happened I went to on of the back offices to tell my boss, and he was shaken up to hear the news. He was from the Big Island and went to school with Ellison Onizuka

Q: 9/11?
A: I was sleeping, my wife woke me up to turn on the TV just in time to see the second plane hit the WTC live.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
9/11 - at work. Worked at that time for a huge multinational IT services company. Lots of huge companies outsource their IT / network management / user support to us.

So several of our Level 1 techs had people on the phone who were in one of the towers when it was all just starting to show up on the break room TV screens. Lot of them were pretty severely affected by that.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I remember watching Robert Kennedy with my mom, then they said he'd just been shot.
9/11--I was on a blind lunch date when we heard the news.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
I remember watching Robert Kennedy with my mom, then they said he'd just been shot.
9/11--I was on a blind lunch date when we heard the news.
Wow, Honda, so you're still sort of a newlywed?

9/11 - I was dropping my car off to be serviced and crowded around the tiny TV just in time to see the second plane hit. :oops:

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
9/11 - I was in 3rd grade, and we were doing some sort of group building activity where we stomp our feet to that song "We will rock you". Kind of ironic in hindsight, but I didn't hear the news until later that afternoon (they wouldn't tell us in school that young).

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
When JFK was shot: I was still just a little tadpole waiting for my daddy to send me off to look for an egg to fertilize

Moon: see above

9/11 I was driving to work on 635 in Dallas when my girlfriend at the time, who worked in the Federal building here in Dallas called me and told me what was happening.

Challenger: i was watching the launch on TV laying on the floor of my grandmother's living room.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
When JFK was shot? Attending West School (elementary) in Lancaster, Ohio.

When we landed on the moon? Watching it at home in Columbus, Ohio.

When Challenger blew up? In a video store while stationed in Germany. I was in there for over an hour, just grief-stricken.

9/11? At home.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
9/11? third grade

Virginia Tech School Shooting? in History class

iPhone released? In Cambridge Galleria, wondering what the hell was going on - what were these people waiting for?

Q: Where were you when JFK was shot?
A: On a bus to join the seminary to become a priest (really! but I quit after a short time, see answer to number 2 below)

Q: When we landed on the moon?
A: Driving home from visiting Camille Witowski (yum), I lived in MD and she lived in PA

Q: When the Challenger blew up?
A: I was at home watching the launch live.

Q: 9/11?
A: I was visiting CO looking to buy a house so we could move from CA. Staying at my SILs and I was up watching TV and got the rest of the household up for it.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I was at school on 9/11, but I don't think I was alive for any of the other events. Though i was queing up with my dad on iDay.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
on 9/11 I was a senior. Actually standing in the princaple office watching it wit her on her tv.
Too young to see kennedy alltho I wish I could have. I hear he was a good guy.
When the iPhone was released I was at home wondering why one of my retarded friends was camping out for a cell phone.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Challenger: Kindergarten watching it on t.v.

9/11: Just got done pumping some gas and headed to work, heard most of it on the radio until I got home that afternoon and saw the devastation, couldn't believe what I was seeing.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I was not born during the Kennedy assassination

Was mowing greens on a golf course when I heard about the planes hitting the towers

Getting off a school bus when I heard about Regan getting shot

Smoking pot in the backseat of a cutlass when I heard about the Challenger explosion
(I do not do drugs anymore, by the way.)

Wiping bean dip off my sweater when the Giants beat the "unbeatable" Patriots!