Where's The Camera

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by detroity2k, Mar 15, 2015.

1. detroity2k

detroity2k Member
    Bronze

Totally a gut punch! iPods, iPhone 1-6, imac, MacBook Pro, time capsule, Match, iPad, iPad mini, Apple TV, and a host of converters, cords, cables, etc.

They release this thing without a camera! We all know they will have a camera for photos and then a year later make it video capable and then retina, HD and FaceTime. Balderdash!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Would you really use it for photos or video? First off, it would be poor quality compared to iPhones. Second, I think it would look a little ridiculous - probably worse than using an iPad for photos. Putting a camera as good as what's in the iPhone 6 would drive the cost up even higher than it is.

But yeah, the next model will definetly have better hardware and more features. How else would they get people to buy it?

3. detroity2k

detroity2k Member
    Bronze

Europa yes, idols to see a camera on the Apple Watch. Even a poor quality camera would look better than taking photos with an iPad lol. It was writes to see folks use phones to take photos 10 years ago. Imagine how many more photos you could take during one of those unexpected photo opportunities. There are watches with cameras on them already. The two biggest issues o have are:

No Camera
    Poor battery life

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The poor battery life is a problem. I think the next biggest problem is that it's only water resistant.

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Camera is a must for FaceTime. Face Time would be a desirable feature on the watch

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Why not just use your 6+ for FaceTime? It seems like it would be awkward to use a watch for that and it's such a tiny screen. Do you want a big screen watch or would you be happy with really pixelated video? It wouldn't work for front and back unless you take it off. FaceTime would drop that 18-hour hour battery life even lower. If you want it to do everything as well as the phone, it will be huge. I'm not sure why we need something to replace what our phones (that we always have nearby) do so well unless we are trying to justify this purchase.

7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I was picturing more of a quick way of sending short video messages or short FT sessions. Could you use the iPhone for that? Yes, but that's not the point.

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

You're also demanding more from the processing power. The Apple Watch isn't designed to be a stand alone product. When you think of the functionality, there's very little that's processor intensive. This is by design. This would be incredibly poor quality and the size of the watch is already too big for some. We already know what a camera can do to hardware. Look at the iPhone 6 and that protruding back camera.

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Chris I'm not talking about a megapixel camera. Im sure a vga camera like the one in the new MacBook would suffice just to give people the option. We all know why a camera is not included now (planned obsolescence) I'm sure we will see a camera in the 2nd gen.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

What's this "all", pardner? That's your opinion.

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

True, ok what's yours?

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Mine is that many folks love a corporate conspiracy. Apple may not have included a camera in the Watch because it's currently impractical and not up enough to Apple's standards to include. It doesn't always have to be a case of, "Oh, we'll get them all to come back next year to buy some more stuff." :)

That's my opinion.

13. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Fair enough, I respect your opinion, and who knows, you may be correct. I choose to believe that corporate greed knows no bounds, and based on a long history and pattern of these companies to slow down the release of new tech in order to sell the old I think (my opinion) that planned obsolescence is more likely. Sad because despite believing this I am guilty of supporting this system. I just have to have the latest and greatest :(

14. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

Could a camera be useful for scanning? I'm always checking prices by scanning barcodes using my iP6+. Might be a possible use case for the watch. Just tossing thoughts.

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

They can be. A scanner is better. I use ProCamera 8. It has a built-in scanner for bar codes.
    This one is the same one in ProCamera 8.
    I have it too. It's a good one. I don't recall if it's free or not.
    Barcode by Cocologics
    https://appsto.re/us/s_NiF.i

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

16. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

Well there is a major problem with adding a camera. Battery Life. If you started taking FaceTime calls on this thing as previously mentioned it would require a lot of processing power which would drain an already (Somewhat) poor battery life due to the size of the device. I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that this is a complimentary device. It designed to work WITH your iPhone and it is most certainly not meant to REPLACE your iPhone for functionality such as FaceTime. Although I love the apple watch and will be pre-ordering it is just a means of receiving notifications more conveniently. It just so happens apple added some really nice functionality into the watch such as taking a call and the health tracking capabilities. This is in no way a standalone device or a replacement for core functions of an iPhone.

17. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Thanks for sharing your opinion, I hope this opinion holds when Apple adds a camera to an upcoming generation. You described what this device is and is not in your opinion, but many, me included thought it was odd to leave a camera out of this much like the iPad 1st gen was missing a camera only to resurface with one in subsequent editions. A camera can be useful in many settings (scanning, FaceTime, etc.) and I argue that leaving it out was nothing more that a combination of cost saving measures and planned obsolescence :)

18. IllusionEntity

Gold

But the iPad is a standalone device. Granted that was probably purely planned obsolescence with the iPad but this is a completely different situation. There is no way they will be able to squeeze in a big enough battery to accommodate such functionality as a camera. And even if they did it would only be a FF camera which would only be needed for things such as FaceTime. I don't understand why you'd want to FaceTime on a 1.5" screen when you have a 4.7"/5.5" iPhone you can do that on. As for a camera for taking pictures that would entail having a permanent band like the galaxy gear that is UUUUUUGLY.. They will need to start borrowing tech from the iron man suits before that can get enough power into the watch for us to make FaceTime calls on this thing ;)

19. IllusionEntity

Gold

And if you're right and they do add a camera into the 2nd gen. Then we heard it here first and you can say I told you so :p

20. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I remember buying a full 3G cellphone watch with camera and all from China in the early 2000's and it worked just fine, technology is there, implementation of it may be tricky, I'll give you that :D