Whew...that was close

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
Well, I got lucky. I lost my phone last night at a party. Well at least thats what I thought.

When we left the party, I took off my jacket for the drive home. I thought I took my iPhone out of my pocket and put it in my truck. Turns out, it looks like I put it on my bed cover and forgot about it. Well after searching hi and low last night and this morning, I had come to terms it was gone.

At 12:15 this afternoon, a neighbor called and asked if I was missing an iPhone. He found it in the gutter in front of his house. WOW....my wife went and got it, and boy was it messed up. Landed face down in the street, after riding 25 miles on the bed cover of my truck.

After removing the beat up agent 18 case and anti glare screen protector, I found NO damage to the outside of the iPhone itself. It seems to be working fine and at this point I do not have any reason to think the internal components have been damaged. It had to have taken one heck of a hit. So to say it again....Whew, that was close!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Wow! It's just like someone put $400 in your pocket this morning. I never get that kind of luck.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Lost is lost, but as far as damage, these things seem pretty tough. I dropped mine from a loading ramp about 8 feet onto asphalt about a month ago. It hit on the upper left corner near the ringer switch. That and the volume rocker were rendered useless as the metal casing was bent all around that area. I fiddled around with it for about 15 mintues, making a little progress with a box cutter (yes, I had to trim out some metal around the rocker). The small metal bit between the switches was badly bowed out, so I took a small hammer and tapped it down, did a little more prying with the box cutter blade, and now it works as normal! Looks a bit sad up there in the corner, but as soon as it hit the ground, I was sure I would be going to the ATT store to replace it. I still have my beloved iPhone (all the worse for wear), and I can hopefully keep it at least until more substantial rumors surface about the next iteration...

A drop like that would have killed my Treo or my 8525.

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Cases still look ugly though.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, i've been going commando the last couple of weeks.

"I'm out there, Jerry, and I'm lovin' every minute of it!"

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I like the stories that make buying that case worthwhile...For me atleast i have no reason to claim my 30 dollar purchase was necessary.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
"I'm out there, Jerry, and I'm lovin' every minute of it!"
Great stuff!
I've learned my lesson with my first iPhone, though. Even though I also hate the idea of putting my svelt little iPhone in a case, my next one will definitely be in one from day one. I've pretty well beat mine into submission since July! Screen scratches (not many, but there nonetheless), scraped up back, dents around the edges, crud all over my lens, etc. Not to mention the fact that I'm a clutz with small stuff. Every time I drop it, I hear a cash register calling for my next $500 payment - and I drop it a LOT...
I'm still amazed I haven't broken the screen yet! :eek:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i've only dropped mine twice since september... one in an Agent18, and one naked.

there's a slight scratch from the latter... no biggie.

i do have a screen-protector on at all times, though.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
WOW...of all the places it could have ended up during the 25 mile drive, it made it all the way to your neighborhood! I had to laugh when I heard that - you're soo lucky. Good for you! :)

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
i've only dropped mine twice since september... one in an Agent18, and one naked.

there's a slight scratch from the latter... no biggie.

i do have a screen-protector on at all times, though.

I went down to the Apple Store this afternoon, to get a new case and screen protector. The guy was trying to talk me into a inno case. I had to laugh. I said I think I will stay with what I KNOW works for me! :laugh2:

I did find a VERY small scratch on the top chrome bezel. You can barley see it though. I not particularly religious, but I think ill give a shout out to the man up stairs tonight.