which apps to choose from?

thabigo

Oct 23, 2007
Hey guys, I am fairly new to the iPhone and this beening my first Apple product that i own i was hoping to learn some more about it.

I have jailbroken my phone and downloaded some third party apps. I was wondering if there was a list somewhere of all the apps that accutally tell you what that app does and if it is worth dling. And perhaps and explanation of each category.

Ex. what does the Developemnt apps do? Networks apps? I know that when you select an app it gives you a brief explanation (which is crap) that really that doesn't help me at all. I wish they would tell you exactly what the app does and what you benefit from it.

Please give me some input here!

Thanks,

O

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Hey guys, I am fairly new to the iPhone and this beening my first Apple product that i own i was hoping to learn some more about it.

I have jailbroken my phone and downloaded some third party apps. I was wondering if there was a list somewhere of all the apps that accutally tell you what that app does and if it is worth dling. And perhaps and explanation of each category.

Ex. what does the Developemnt apps do? Networks apps? I know that when you select an app it gives you a brief explanation (which is crap) that really that doesn't help me at all. I wish they would tell you exactly what the app does and what you benefit from it.

Please give me some input here!

Thanks,

O
This site does not list all the software but would be a good starting point. There is new software being released every few days and so far I have not found any single site that lists them all.

http://iPhoneapplicationlist.com/

The best thing you can do when you see a particular program your interested in is to search this forum for the particular software item by name and read up on what other users have posted about it. If the software has caused any kind of problems or conflicts with other programs someone will have posted that information. You should always research before running any software or you might spend a lot of time restoring your phone.
As far as what the different subgroups in installer mean, they are a generalized category of what type of software is in that list. For example the development software will have drivers and other files that are needed for creating programs that work on the phone. They may include system level files that have to be present for certain other programs to work. The Network group will have programs that are somewhat network related in nature such as irc, network sharing programs, etc. They are not always completely accurate as to what all the software in that group actually does but for the most part they are a pretty good idea.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
If you don't have a particular need - don't even try installing an application! These are largely untested, unproven, and - in software production terms, unsafe applications.

Many people mess about for a while - then the phone goes unstable, then they restore and MAYBE go back to one app. they can't live without.

The one App I can't live without is the ability to make and receive calls. The iPhone is great straight out of the box - and it's reliable too. Certainly more stable than any windows-based mobile I've had in the past. Jailbreak and install random junk and this goes down the pan. Nothing wrong with this of course, just that it doesn't say it anywhere in big letters like it should.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
No pain no gain is what I always say. I've probably restored my phone two dozen times because I'm always playing with it and having to restore it cause I messed it up. It's not like it's a big deal because iTunes loads all the music and contacts and stuff back on. The only way you learn is to break things and then fix it.