Which color iPhone 5S: Space Gray, Gold or White?

What colour do you plan to buy this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

drewatl

Bronze
Jul 5, 2008
Atlanta
www.twitter.com
So.. Out of 3 iPhone colors, I ended up with my 3rd option.... Sigh. I was in line for 8 hours and was the 12th person. I wanted a 32GB Gold for AT&T. They only had (3) 64GB Gold. They didn't have sliver in stock, which was my second option. Therefore, I was stuck with a 32GB space gray. I will be on the hunt for either a Gold or Sliver in the 13 days.

Sent using iCafe app

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
I went with the 'Whomever thought this is the color of space is insane' one. :)

Sent from something made by Apple!

drewatl

Bronze
Jul 5, 2008
Atlanta
www.twitter.com
I went with the 'Whomever thought this is the color of space is insane' one. :)

LOL. yes, the one I didn't want. I've had all white iPhones since the 3G. I know I won't be satisfies if I'm not able to get my hand on either a Gold or Sliver phone.

Sent using iCafe app

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
If you use a case and get gold no one will know you have gold. It will appear as white from the front as shown on the Apple website.

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
LOL. yes, the one I didn't want. I've had all white iPhones since the 3G. I know I won't be satisfies if I'm not able to get my hand on either a Gold or Sliver phone.

Sent using iCafe app
I consider one of the others, but couldn't give up my old stand-by, or as close as I could get, anyway. LOL

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
If you use a case and get gold no one will know you have gold. It will appear as white from the front as shown on the Apple website.
Not quite. While subtle, anyone looking at the ring around the home button will be able to see whether you have the gold or silver version, and they definitely will be able to see it is a 5s, even with a case on it.

Sent using iCafe app

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
Not quite. While subtle, anyone looking at the ring around the home button will be able to see whether you have the gold or silver version, and they definitely will be able to see it is a 5s, even with a case on it.

Sent using iCafe app
Quite true, however a case will really diminish the beauty of the gold. I guess a bumper would suffice to show the world you have a 5s "g".

Sent using iCafe app

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
I got the gray 64, wife got the gold 64 (one of only two 64 at@t and a total of 6 gold for store) and daughter got the silver 32. I wish I would have gotten the gold when I had the chance but manly to annoy the lady behind me that was rude to my wife earlier in the night but I didn't know that what she wanted and that they only had 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Mindi and I were talking the other day about the term "Space Grey," and I was saying how much I disliked it. It sounds too Jetsons-y for me.

We were talking about alternate names for the grey and she mentioned the moon. I started thinking along those lines and decided that "Lunar Grey" would have been a much better name for it. It's less contrived and rolls off the tongue better.

Just my thoughts.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
Mindi and I were talking the other day about the term "Space Grey," and I was saying how much I disliked it. It sounds too Jetsons-y for me.

We were talking about alternate names for the grey and she mentioned the moon. I started thinking along those lines and decided that "Lunar Grey" would have been a much better name for it. It's less contrived and rolls off the tongue better.

Just my thoughts.
I have to agree I don't know who thought the name but as far as I know space is black not gray. I don't understand what they put space Ing int name why not just call it gray. I mean on the 5c's they are yellow not sunset yellow and green not avocado green and so on. Sometime I think marketing people just need to keep their ideas in check.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have to agree I don't know who thought the name but as far as I know space is black not gray. I don't understand what they put space Ing int name why not just call it gray. I mean on the 5c's they are yellow not sunset yellow and green not avocado green and so on. Sometime I think marketing people just need to keep their ideas in check.
I think grey is sometimes thought of as a dismal color. They wanted to spice it up and make it sound cool. But space is not grey so it doesn't sit quite right with me. I love astronomy though, so I think lunar grey would have been a nice name choice.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
I think grey is sometimes thought of as a dismal color. They wanted to spice it up and make it sound cool. But space is not grey so it doesn't sit quite right with me. I love astronomy though, so I think lunar grey would have been a nice name choice.
Well I don't think gray as dismal, I think there are some cool shades of gray. When I hear lunar gray I think bright and yellowish so that doesn't work for me either. I'm just going call a rose a rose and just say gray.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I will call it black since that's the color most people will ever see with their ugly plastic or rubber case on.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
I will call it black since that's the color most people will ever see with their ugly plastic or rubber case on.
Excuse me my case leather. Lol

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Excuse me my case leather. Lol

yes but leather is not ugly, only plastic and rubber :D

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Well I don't think gray as dismal, I think there are some cool shades of gray. When I hear lunar gray I think bright and yellowish so that doesn't work for me either. I'm just going call a rose a rose and just say gray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
You think bright and yellowish when you think of grey?!

Hadley_single_earthrise_April_5_2008.jpg

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
No when I think of lunar. When I look up in the night sky I see a bright yellowish moon(lunar).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

LOL, look at it later in the night (higher in the sky), it does have a tan/yellow/sometimes red look to it when your looking at it low enough in the sky.