Which has priority: EDGE or WiFi?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

truenorth

Oct 24, 2007
I have both EDGE and WiFi set up at home. When I connect to the internet, which of the two is in use?

Also, does it matter to the carrier? Is one cheaper than the other? What are the pros and cons?

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I have both EDGE and WiFi set up at home. When I connect to the internet, which of the two is in use?

Also, does it matter to the carrier? Is one cheaper than the other? What are the pros and cons?
When I connect at home, WiFi kicks in automatically. The only time I'm on EDGE is when I turn WiFi off and thats rare.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
How can you tell which one is being used?
My first indication is speed. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Second, there is either going to be a WiFi symbol or 'E' for edge. Look next to the carrier logo (in my case ATT) and you'll see either a blue E or blue WiFi symbol.

Since I've had my phone (approaching 2 weeks) I haven't turned WiFi off, so most of the time, thats how I am connecting. A few times I've had the (dis)pleasuring of less than speedy EDGE; but it hasn't been too bad... seriously.

TheTKDKid

Oct 13, 2007
So far I've left wifi on for days and have not had any negative affects on the phone.
It seems to me, based solely on hands on experience, that with WiFi on, it only drains the battery faster if you are in an area that has no WiFi. Normally, I'm out of the office a lot, with no access to WiFi, and my battery lasts 24 hours before it needs charging. The past 3 days, I've been at a client site that has WiFi, and my battery lasted the full 3 days. Same amount of usage.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
It seems to me, based solely on hands on experience, that with WiFi on, it only drains the battery faster if you are in an area that has no WiFi. Normally, I'm out of the office a lot, with no access to WiFi, and my battery lasts 24 hours before it needs charging. The past 3 days, I've been at a client site that has WiFi, and my battery lasted the full 3 days. Same amount of usage.
Interesting point. I'm grateful that I do have wifi access for most of my day; simply beause EDGE is just too slow for me. In my case, if there has been no wifi available, I use my Mogul (Sprint) for surfing. Sprints network is a blessing when it comes to internet.