Which MacBook to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rollinfromhell, Jun 8, 2014.

1. rollinfromhell

Gold

I definitely want the newer ones, Just not sure which 13 inch model to buy. I want to video edit HD videos, play music, HD video, photoshop: and I want it to be future proof for at least a few years. My budget is between 1600-1800 bucks + tax give or take.

I am thinking in between an i7 256gb, 8gb of ram

OR a 2.4ghz i5, 8gb of ram, and 512gb. I want speed, but I also want hard drive space. Both are a tie in my opinion in terms of needs.

What would be best? Would getting the lesser processor make a HUGE difference on an SSD?

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

You are probably going to need / want the power of the dedicated graphics card that's only offered in the 15"

I have the 13" 2.4ghz, i5, 8gb ram and 256gb hard drive. While that's more than fine for my use I think you might struggle with the 13" built in graphics when doing HD video editing and photoshop.. The 15" with dedicated graphics is like $2,600 though..

3. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

If you're going to be editing video I'd suggest the 15" model i7 processor and 16GB of RAM. You just can't have enough resources for video editing. The new MBP with the i7 processor are Retina display models and there are choices for processor speed to boot. Your budget, however, may be a little short.

4. rollinfromhell

Gold

Thanks, the basic model wouldn't be enough to edit simple videos together with a music track and sound sound effects? My brother has a 2012 mid/late model and he was editing fine on it.

5. rollinfromhell

Gold

If not, I have an alienware for photoshop/editing (it just lags). I just needed something decent for school and thought a mac would do the job and it being portable/optimized and all without it needing to be plugged in constantly. My alienware dies in 2 hours and isn't exactly portable.

6. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I would also recommend at least a 15" i7 processor for photoshop and video editing. My roommate has the entry level 15" and it is working fine for him. You definitely don't want to go cheap on the RAM. The retina model is nice, especially if you are going to be using the screen for long periods of time.

7. rollinfromhell

Gold

Unfortunately, I had to order the middle model. It's all I could afford to be honest. 1600 was a bit much for me as it was. If it doesn't do the job, I can always take it back.

8. rollinfromhell

Gold

So first day.. fully charged it. (macbook pro 13inch, 2.4i5, 8gb of ram, 256ssd).

Then did a battery test. I was transferring files over, unraring them (for about 40 minutes). I played music with headphones on, watched a few YouTube videos and surfed the web. Watched a few HD movies and tested them out for about 5 minutes. Then, I messed with Final Cut Pro X at 28 percent. It dropped in about an hour to %2.

Overall, I had 6 hours and 4 minutes of battery. Auto brightness off, keyboard light was also on for a small while at 4-5 bars, and brightness was usually at 3 bars before max or around 85 percent.

Is this normal? Also the macbook got VERY hot to the point where it was heating my leg and hot to touch. Not burning hot, but 10 degrees more and it would've been.

This is me just having safari open and watching Netflix.

Note: It is charging. It immediately cooled down 55c once I closed netflix. It's now around 47c as I'm just browsing with nothing else open. Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 8.03.18 AM.png

Here's a couple battery readings as well: Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 8.15.34 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 8.19.39 AM.png

#8 rollinfromhell, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  9. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

That is a significant battery drop. I wonder if the one you have is defective. I would take it back to the Apple Store and explain what is going on. Did you get Apple Care?

You are not doing anything too CPU and ram intensive from what I can tell other than the video editing with Final Cut. The MBP is rated at about 10 hours on a full charge. I usually get anywhere from 8-9 depending on what I'm doing.

#9 silvermoon, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  10. rollinfromhell

Gold

Yeah but people usually say they get 7-8 sometimes less depending on what they're doing. I've been seeing people claim they get "10-11 or more" yet people are complaining that they're not getting that much. I have no Apple store nearby or else I wouldn't mind taking it back.

I ordered it online and they said I would have to buy a new one and it would be a week or two before I had a computer back again. I will recheck battery in a few days. How are the temps I posted? My house runs about 74-75 degrees in an air conditioned environment which is all the time this time of year.

11. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

The temps you posted appear to be normal once it is cooled down. It was running too hot before and I would monitor it to see if it happens again.

On a full charge, I can roughly get about 9 hours out of mine. That is unfortunate you don't live nearby an Apple Store. I have two right around where I live. Just keep an eye on it for anything unusual.

12. rollinfromhell

Gold

This is what I'm getting watching netflix. Could you possibly replicate this issue and see if your temps go up?

Attached Files:

13. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

What app are you using to monitor temps? I don't have netflix but I can watch an HD movie to simulate temps.

14. rollinfromhell

Gold

I'm using iStat Menus. Just flick the switches on and they'll appear. Basically, I think it's silverlight. Let me try to simulate them with an HD movie myself.

15. rollinfromhell

Gold

I'm getting around 52-54c with just VLC running. Safari Maximized with a audio playing in background, I'm around 53-55c. iStats I had to change to Celcius btw. Hope that helps!

16. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I downloaded the app and installed it. This is what my temps are with basic usage. I'll run an HD video tomorrow and post.

Attached Files:

17. rollinfromhell

Gold

Thanks for taking the time to help out man! I appreciate it. Was it C or F? If it's Celsius then I guess I'm quite normal.

18. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

When I first got my MBP three years ago it ran really hot. In fact I noticed it right away. But it's fairly normal especially watching movies and running FCP X. It may be my imagination but it seems now the book doesn't run as hot these days. I really don't pay much attention to it anymore. Maybe I'm just used to it. Battery life? Well it really depends on what you're doing but I'd say 8-9 hours is typical for me. The reports of 11 hours makes me want to say "wut"?

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think you need to take it to Apple at this point. I would give it a few full charging cycles before even considering that. The battery meter might just need to be calibrated. Charge it to 100% and then use it until it powers itself off and then charge again. If it still seems low, post back. There are a few trouble shooting steps you can take. It's normal for them to run warm like you described.

20. rollinfromhell

Gold

Those temps were normal ? I did read online that silverlight tends to really heat up peoples MacBooks, but that temp (72-75c) concerned me as it felt hot to the touch.

Also which macbook make and model you have? I have a Late 2013 13" 2.4ghz, 8gb of ram. My house is currently 74 degrees. I'm using no cooling pad.

#20 rollinfromhell, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014