Which mode to run ZiPhone if already an AT&T customer?

Mar 28, 2008
Hey guys, after holding out on the iPhone I finally caved in and bought a refurbished one out of contract. I'm just moving over from the HTC camp and am acclimating myself to the iPhone OS and the unlocking process, so please bear with me. I've been combing every thread that Google would turn up for the past 2 days and haven't found the answer to my questions yet.

I am an existing Att customer and don't really want to renew a 2 year contract with them and am very fond of my corporate discount. That being said, should I select the "Do It All" feature in ZiPhone?

The primary reason I don't want to do a full workover in ziPhone is because I have read many posts where others have done the same with an OTB 1.1.4, but couldn't get youtube, visual voicemail, or yahoo email to work.

Suggestions?

Oct 9, 2007
I am taking from the title that you are a current AT&T customer, if so just run ziPhone and select the 'jailbreak' option. If you run your mouse over each of the options it actually explains what it does and under what situation it should be used.

If you're going to switch to another service provider, then you would 'do it all'. I would wait until you actually cancel (if that is the plan) AT&T before you do that though.

There are fixes for the issues you have mentioned, you can search the boards....there isn't much you can't find out on here if you search...and if you don't find it plenty of people love to help.

Mar 28, 2008
I see. So after just running a jailbreak i will be able to use visual voicemail, youtube, and email? I currently have a media max 200 bundle for my htc 8525 and was wondering if I could get all the above services without paying having Att change my plan.

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hey guys, after holding out on the iPhone I finally caved in and bought a refurbished one out of contract. I'm just moving over from the HTC camp and am acclimating myself to the iPhone OS and the unlocking process, so please bear with me. I've been combing every thread that Google would turn up for the past 2 days and haven't found the answer to my questions yet.

I am an existing Att customer and don't really want to renew a 2 year contract with them and am very fond of my corporate discount. That being said, should I select the "Do It All" feature in ZiPhone?

The primary reason I don't want to do a full workover in ziPhone is because I have read many posts where others have done the same with an OTB 1.1.4, but couldn't get youtube, visual voicemail, or yahoo email to work.

Suggestions?
Just to be clear, corporate AT&T discounts will not carry over to the iPhone, unless you have more than one phone with AT&T. I have 1 Sony Ericsson, and 2 iPhones on a Family Plan. The SE is the main phone, and I still get my corporate discount on it. But, the iPhones are additional lines charged at $9.99 each with a $20.00 data plan.

If you want to keep your current contract with AT&T you need to connect your iPhone to iTunes first and activate it. iTunes will ask you a series of questions, you can then upgrade your device to the iPhone and keep your current contract and number. You can keep your voice plan, but will need to sign-up for the iPhone data plan, no way around that.

After you finish activating through iTunes you can JailBreak. Select "Do It All" only if you're changing carriers.

Mar 28, 2008
A rep at Att actually told me the same thing. I already have the primary line set up as another phone so that part is taken care of. I'm a bit confused about the whole data plan part because I believe I am on an iPhone plan right now. I pay 20/mo for unlimited data and 200 texts. The PDA data plans are much more expensive and I'm pulling a quick one with Att as it is.

Will the visual voicemail, email, and youtube work if i just slap my sim card in there after activating and jailbreaking with ziPhone? I'd like to be able to just pop my sim into the iPhone and not let Att know that I'm on the iPhone so that they can keep giving me discounts on that line. Will this work?

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Actually, the iPhone SIM is associated with the iPhone serial number it came with I think.

I don't think you can swap SIM's. But, your data plan sounds like it should carry over to the iPhone.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
WRONG.

to use your old AT&T sim, without paying the iphone-specific fees, click don't Unlock in ZiPhone, then you will be jailbroken and activated.

and after that, swap out your sim cards, and you'll have service.

Good day.

Oct 9, 2007
WRONG.

to use your old AT&T sim, without paying the iphone-specific fees, click don't Unlock in ZiPhone, then you will be jailbroken and activated.

Good day.

SEE...that's why you always wait for somebody with 5 little gold stars under their name to clear things up for you! :laugh2:

Mar 28, 2008
Nice, it sounds like I can pull this off after all. I know what I'm trying to do with my iPhone isn't usual so I'm glad you guys are here to help.

Mar 28, 2008
Awesome, thanks buddy. The phone is being shipped to me and should be here on Tuesday. If I have any problems you'll be the first to know!

Mar 28, 2008
I just read from another site that if I activate my iPhone using the method that you described in a previous post that the BL does not have to be downgraded. Is this right? That would definitely be ideal.

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
WRONG.

Good day.
Thanks Dude!

I actually didn't know about that. I wish I did when I got my iPhones. But, then again I never expected to ZiPhone jailbreak when I got my iPhones anyway.

MAHALO from Hawaii!

Mar 28, 2008
Hey Man of the Dark, I just sent you a PM. I ran into some problems after the Jailbreak...

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Hey, I forgot who you were for a second... let me make another PM...

damn... terribly memory.

Mar 28, 2008
Thanks for the 1 on 1 help session, Sam. For that you get another Gold Star.