Which new iPhone are you going to get?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
Hi Guys!
Can someone explain AT&T's trade in program for me? Last September I traded in my 6+ on a 7+ with 256GB and got what I thought was a great trade in deal. My monthly bill went up around $8 and they gave me about $650 for my 6+. I thought it also meant I could trade in every year if I chose to. After calling AT&T yesterday, I found that I AM eligible to trade in my 7+, but I would first have to pay off about $456.00 on my 7 plus and trade it in. Does that sound like a good deal? Otherwise I'd continue to pay off my 7 plus for another year and a half since I initially signed on for a 30 month contract. It's very confusing to me! Thanks in advance!

I think there's 2 NEXT programs. One let's you upgrade every year the other does not. The one that doesn't requires you to have either 50% or 80% (can't remember) paid off before you can upgrade and both require you to trade in your old phone. Also the one that lets you upgrade every year only does 24 month payment plans so it'll be more monthly.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I think there's 2 NEXT programs. One let's you upgrade every year the other does not. The one that doesn't requires you to have either 50% or 80% (can't remember) paid off before you can upgrade and both require you to trade in your old phone. Also the one that lets you upgrade every year only does 24 month payment plans so it'll be more monthly.
Thanks VOLS34! Cheers!

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I think I'll wait a year or so since I've only had my 7 plus for a year and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I'm also not so crazy about the Facial ID feature and if I have to pay off the $455 to AT&T and then pay $1200 for the X, OUCH!!!! Then I know I'd want new Apple leather cases which with my 7 plus. Right now I have a Black, Brown and Silicon, which of course Apple changed the camera lens location so it'd mean buying more of those when mine are perfectly fine. Also.......when I look at the photo of the X, it looks like there's a blacked out area at the top. Is that always there? It would seem to take up some space on the screen. The only thing I REALLY like is the charging pad. I' love to have that!! Anyway.....Good luck everyone! It looks like a beautiful phone! Cheers!

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I'm not upgrading until next year, but if I were, I'd get the iPhone 8 Plus. I have too many custom wallpapers that would not work on the X. They require the wider 16:9 aspect ratio of the 8 Plus. I would prefer the wider screen 8 Plus anyway. Here's a comparison of the X and the 8 Plus screens:

Image credit: phonearena

I like some of the new features on the X, but that screen size is just too small. It's a really steep 5.8".
I'm hoping next year brings the big sister of the X. The one with a 6"+ total screen size. My wallet won't like it one bit.

Redhotchili

Bronze
Feb 19, 2012
I'm not upgrading until next year, but if I were, I'd get the iPhone 8 Plus. I have too many custom wallpapers that would not work on the X. They require the wider 16:9 aspect ratio of the 8 Plus. I would prefer the wider screen 8 Plus anyway. Here's a comparison of the X and the 8 Plus screens:

Image credit: phonearena

I like some of the new features on the X, but that screen size is just too small. It's a really steep 5.8".
I'm hoping next year brings the big sister of the X. The one with a 6"+ total screen size. My wallet won't like it one bit.
Thx for the comparison ! I now know I’m sticking w my 7+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I was curious... I did the AT&T upgrade thing in the past. My current 7 is already paid for. This time around..., I want to sign up for the Apple Upgrade Plan.
Does anyone know if it's possible to go ahead and sign up for the program without selecting a phone...? I was just thinking that it would hinder my chances of signing up for a phone if I have to fill out all that stuff before selecting a phone to buy.

dallasjetfan

Contributor
Bronze
Oct 15, 2011
I was curious... I did the AT&T upgrade thing in the past. My current 7 is already paid for. This time around..., I want to sign up for the Apple Upgrade Plan.
Does anyone know if it's possible to go ahead and sign up for the program without selecting a phone...? I was just thinking that it would hinder my chances of signing up for a phone if I have to fill out all that stuff before selecting a phone to buy.
I’m part of the Upgrade program and I was able to get pre approved a few days before on the app. That doesn’t really answer your question.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No. You have to be purchasing a phone to sign up. You have to have excellent credit to get approved by Apple. Are you planning on getting an X then?

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
No. You have to be purchasing a phone to sign up. You have to have excellent credit to get approved by Apple. Are you planning on getting an X then?
Without a doubt... and my credit is great. I just figure by the time I go through the sign up process for that. They will all be gone. :)
I'm leaning towards Silver 256....

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Hi all, my 6plus is on its last leg so I ordered an 8 plus in gold. I love the screen size. The X is just a little too pricey for me. Maybe next year I will get it. I have the iPhone forever plan. The new phone is being delivered tomorrow so we shall see how it is.

dallasjetfan

Contributor
Bronze
Oct 15, 2011
Just set up my phone which wasn’t as easy as it should have been. The 8 Plus is definitely heavier. Not sure I like the Tru Tone, but I will give a chance. Let’s be honest though, it’s the same phone as the 7. Im ok with it because I have enjoyed all the Plus models and their small upgrades. We will see if I notice the camera upgrades or the speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just set up my phone which wasn’t as easy as it should have been. The 8 Plus is definitely heavier. Not sure I like the Tru Tone, but I will give a chance. Let’s be honest though, it’s the same phone as the 7. Im ok with it because I have enjoyed all the Plus models and their small upgrades. We will see if I notice the camera upgrades or the speed.
Faster processor, better camera, 4K at 60 FPS, more camera options, noticeably better speakers, better GPU, better augmented reality support, supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision content and has a True Tone screen. But that’s just getting picky; it’s basically the same phone because it looks the same.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Faster processor, better camera, 4K at 60 FPS, more camera options, noticeably better speakers, better GPU, better augmented reality support, supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision content and has a True Tone screen. But that’s just getting picky; it’s basically the same phone because it looks the same.
The stereo speakers are a marked improvement over those on my 7 Plus. For smartphone speakers, they're the best I've heard.

The portrait lighting is fun to use, too.

dallasjetfan

Contributor
Bronze
Oct 15, 2011
The stereo speakers are a marked improvement over those on my 7 Plus. For smartphone speakers, they're the best I've heard.

The portrait lighting is fun to use, too.
I have no use for AR, but the speakers are definitely better than the 7 Plus and are the best I have ever heard as well. I tested my 7 Plus vs the 8 Plus on safari and opening web pages. The 8 Plus is about a second faster on everything. Not a big deal, but any improvement is always welcomed. I'm excited to try 4K @ 60fps and 1080 @ 240. I still love Touch ID and will always hope it stays around in some capacity.

I'm sure the X will have a better display, but I still think there will be some issues and inconveniences. I'm happy with my upgrade for sure. I just wish Apple would have included the fast charger. Glad all my cases still work. I still like the size of the Plus.