which of the following apps are necessary? completely guide me

Dec 4, 2008
hi guys.. recently i got iPhone 2g with 8gb memory.. well m completely new with mac n iPhone os.. currently have vista running on my laptop.. now this is all am telling u in nut shell..

when i got this phone...it was unlocked n jail broken version 2.1 of its fimware.. now the problem is can any one tell me whats the actual memory u can get available out of tht 8 gb?
i have only
200 mp3 songs using 1.44 gb
12 video songs using 340 mb,
photos 27 mb and
"OTHERS" IS 718 mb..

can ppl will tell me what is tht others means? what is it saved? in others what files? does it meant application installed ? all i think will come up around 2 or max 2.5 gb memory.. but the phone is showing some 4.5 gb free... y is it showing around 2gb less memory? where its been used up?

now secondly i want to flash my iPhone completely everything from contacts , songs, videos, applications everything.. but the thing is when i go to cydia n see... applications installed.. there are hell lot of apps installed.. i don't know what are they used for n y .. so m writing list of it.. pl tell me the use of these apps .. i will be really grateful to u ppl..

adv-cmds
APT from telesphoreo (packaging)
ARM floating point
base structure
berkeley DB
BigBoss's Source
Bourne-Again SHell
bzip2
Core Utilities
Cydia community sources
Darwin Tools
Debain Packager
Diff Utilities
Find Utilities
Gawk
gettext
GNU Cryptography
GNU Privacy guard
GnuPG Errors
gzip
inetutils
iPhone Firmware
iSpazio
less
libgcc
libutil
libxml2
libxslt
Mobile Substrate
ModMyi.com
nano
network-cmds
new curses
new Vi
pcre
readline
rsync
Saurik's source
sed
shell-cmds
SQLite v3
Ste's source
system-cmds
Tape Archive
inzip
wild eyes!
zip
ZodTTD's source

pl tell me in a line describing all apps usage.. as i m formatting my phone i can know which i need n which not so askin.. hope u ppl understand .. as i m not getting all memory n on top i feel phone bit slow.. so doing hard formatting..

P S is it like there are too many useless or unnecessary apps installed which make my phone consume memory n speed?

one more thing.. i m not able to install winterboard.. all i see is a blank screen tried reinstalling twice but same.. blank screen.. installed another themes but not applied ie nothing changed.. pl tell me where is the problem...
thanks in advance....

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
2.1 is quite laggy. Jailbreaking it makes it even laggier.

What you need to do is update the phone to 2.2 using iTunes. When asked, select to set up the phone as a new device (not from a backup). You will lose all your photos, SMS, and notes, so backup whatever you can and sync your contacts/calendar/bookmarks to external programs using the info tab on the devices page in iTunes.

Once you're stock 2.2, then if you want you can jailbreak again. Lots of information about how to do that in this forum.

lesreg

Jan 3, 2009
california
can someone tell me too, I see the same thing and I want to delete some of these too