Which phone took this photo?

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Let's see if you can look at this photo and tell me which iPhone was used to capture the image. Was it the iPhone 3GS or the iPhone 3G?

Attachments

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'm guessing as it's a clear picture and being that the 3GS has a much better camera it's a 3G lol

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Nice picture. If it's the 3GS, they must have had a lot of lighting! The MP count is also higher on the 3GS and it looks like that was probably used.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
That. Means. Nothing. Stop it with the megapixels already!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/08/technology/08pogue.html
Reading, understanding, and applying the knowledge are different things.

The difference between a 7MP camera and 10MP is less than a 2 and 3 on a phone, especially at this level and when you include cropping. This picture has excellent detail. It seems to capture a good amount of space without losing resolution. If you've ever actually used any of these cameras and tried to replicate it, you understand what I'm talking about.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Did you read the first sentence?

I'm going with the 3G, since it feels like a trick question. Wait, every time I think something is a trick question I've been wrong. So it's the 3GS. Wait, he probably anticipated that so I'm going back to the 3G.

3G. Final answer.

--
Mike

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Agreed - 3G. However, its quite easy to achieve photo's like this with the 3GS, with the 3G you have to work to get that kinda photo!

Also, Hinky, when looking at photo's that size taken on a phone, I seriously doubt you would be able to tell the difference from the 3mp and 10mp... It isn't the mp that makes the photo... if you look into it, there are many factors that effect the quality. With camera's people incorrectly assume the higher the mp the better the picture, which is incorrect - its the same with speakers and the wattage output.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Keep in mind the 3GS camera is not a case of cramming more MP into the same design. The lens on the 3GS is better. It isn't software auto-focus either, the lens physically moves. Combine that with more MP and you do indeed get a much wanted boost in quality.

As for the "more MP always equals better photos" myth, I think we've come full circle to the point where there is now a "MP doesn't matter at all" myth. C'mon, in truth it is not that black and white. No pun, honest.

--
Mike

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Since OP has a 3G listedin his signature and lists the 3GS as our first option it is obviously a 3G!

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I cant say what phone took the picture but I can tell you the dog looks allot like my ex-wife... poor dog

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I did some detective work on this one. As recently as 4 days ago, the OP said in another thread that he'd played with the 3gs and didn't feel it's worth the upgrade from 3g for him. So, i'll say he took the picture with his 3g.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Agreed - 3G. However, its quite easy to achieve photo's like this with the 3GS, with the 3G you have to work to get that kinda photo!

Also, Hinky, when looking at photo's that size taken on a phone, I seriously doubt you would be able to tell the difference from the 3mp and 10mp... It isn't the mp that makes the photo... if you look into it, there are many factors that effect the quality. With camera's people incorrectly assume the higher the mp the better the picture, which is incorrect - its the same with speakers and the wattage output.
My guess was that a newer camera added to the crop factor, the larger MP camera was used, that's all. The photo looks great for what it is and it was probably photoshopped quite a bit.

With regard to a 3MP and 10MP picture, theoretically you are correct. But I'll bet 9 out of 10 you can tell which camera took which shot simply because the chances are the resolution of a 10MP shot looking good with excellent resolution versus a 3MP shot will be much higher and usually qualitatively much, much different. Once you get up towards print quality at 7MP, it's really diminishing returns.

Honestly... in this case... it's really hard to tell. I'm just guessing based on pure numbers for cropping a photo that seems to have a wide coverage and nice resolution. Impossible to know for sure, many factors.

duvi

Bronze
Jul 19, 2009
In the future
www.twitter.com
Not looking at his sig that says "8gb 3g iPhone Black", I will guess 3GS. :)

I will vote that due to the majority saying 3G and the pic is so good. The driver's seat looks very crisp from close range. My 3G wasn't that good even in good light.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
I did some detective work on this one. As recently as 4 days ago, the OP said in another thread that he'd played with the 3gs and didn't feel it's worth the upgrade from 3g for him. So, i'll say he took the picture with his 3g.

He's good!