which phone

bcampbell

Jun 22, 2008
I just joined the forum and I have several questions,
my wife has a iPhone and I use a BB I'm thinking about getting an I phone but was wondering about waiting for the new one to come out. But I don't get 3G in our area so no need to pay 10$ more a month for the 3G data plan. If I get one and upgrade to the 2.0 os what will that allow me to do with the phone and is there going to be apps that are like ewallet etc. for input of personal information credit card etc.:mad:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
From all reports so far, it appears that the 2.0 software will be identical for both versions of iPhone. That means both should be able to run the same applications. Obviously, location-based apps that need true GPS will only work properly on the new iPhone. And, of course, any internet-based program will operate at the faster 3G speed when not on wifi.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
I just joined the forum and I have several questions,
my wife has a iPhone and I use a BB I'm thinking about getting an I phone but was wondering about waiting for the new one to come out. But I don't get 3G in our area so no need to pay 10$ more a month for the 3G data plan. If I get one and upgrade to the 2.0 os what will that allow me to do with the phone and is there going to be apps that are like ewallet etc. for input of personal information credit card etc.:mad:
I believe people with the new iPhone will be charged the extra $10-15 regardless of whether or not their area gets 3G coverage. If your in a edge only area you might want to just get the old one. The only other difference is GPS & a black plastic backing basically.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Ilium Software are definitely planning to bring eWallet to the iPhone - see HERE for some coverage and a sneak peek at it. It has been my favorite password manager app for years.

Having said that, SplashID (another long-time leader in this category) are also planning to have an app ready for the App Store and I think there may be a lot of good choices in this area ...

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
If you don't want they 3G, then you should try your local AT&T stores to see if you can find a first gen iPhone in stock. You probably won't find one at an Apple store.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
My area doesn't have 3G coverage, but I'll still have to pay the extra $10. Either way, that's fine providing all the new things iPhone 3G offers for me.

- John

bubbamorgan91

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
DC
att is always expanding their network of 3g so you might end up falling into their 3g area in the near future.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
2.0 Features:

-App Store
-Enterprise Support (Microsoft Exchange in email)
-MobileMe support (similar to .mac/check Apple site for prices)
-better mail management
-contacts search (if you have many contacts, you can find a specific one faster)
-more langauges (16, i think)
-reads Microsoft PowerPoint & iWork files
-Scientific calculator

I hope this helps. I can't wait for the iPhone 3G! If you want more information, watch the keynote on Apple.com/iPhone

Price:

$9.95 (iPod Touch)
FREE (iPhone)

These are things that a 3G has that a V1 with 2.0 wont have:

better audio & headphone jack
looks cooler :)
faster browsing speeds (almost as fast as wifi)
GPS
$200 cheaper
will be availible in 70 countries worldwide (not all on July 11)