Which Safari content blocker(s) are you using?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Rafagon, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I have Purify ($1.99) installed right now, and it seems to be doing the job just fine.

If it disappoints me in the future, I will try out Adblock Browser (free).

I know it is also possible to have multiple content blockers enabled simultaneously.

#1 Rafagon, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The New York Times wants to inform us about the cost of mobile ads on 50 news websites.

While their figures seem rather large to me, even if the true figures were only half, it's reason enough for me to use a content blocker on Safari. Even if you do your surfing on Wi-Fi all the time, it just makes sense to disable useless content.

#2 Rafagon, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I'm using 1blocker. does the job for me.

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm using AdMop for now. It's free and seems to work well.
    AdMop by iPhonso GmbH
    https://appsto.re/us/vA9T9.i

I also use Friendly+ for Facebook/Instagram. It includes ad blocking. It's a nice client for Facebook. You can add multiple accounts with color themes.
    Friendly Plus with AdBlock : login with multiple facebook, instagram or messenger accounts by Friendly App Studio
    https://appsto.re/us/4AqXw.i

#4 Ledsteplin, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Thanks. I just realized I still hadn't installed an ad blocker. I looked up 1blocker and it had good reviews, so I installed it. Tested it out and it's working great.

6. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Interesting - I just downloaded 1block to my phone and will give it a whirl - Safari does seem quicker without the frippery. ( Admop shows $2.29 by comparison )
    BUT - I get this message when trying to set up 1block on my iPad ( original mini )

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1443977588.354823.jpg

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Developer Marco Arment created a content-blocking app, Peace, that rose to the number-one spot in the App Store's paid apps. It remained there about 36 hours.

He then went on to "not feel good" over his content-blocking app's negative effect on some people "who didn't deserve the hit," and pulled the app from the App Store. Apple refunded all purchases, and he went on to lose a buttload of money.

What an idiot. :D

UPDATE: eiC does not let me post the correct link to the article. It keeps on auto-correcting spelling in the URL. It adds an apostrophe, which breaks the link. Here is the URL: http://www.marco.org/2015/09/18/just-doesn't-feel-good You'll have to manually remove the apostrophe from the word "doesn't".

#7 Rafagon, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  8. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

9. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

I get the same ’Cannot Download' warning box on iPad for Admop, 1block, Lionz .... It's an original mini , iOS 9.0.1 ...

Ideas (??)

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Admop, 1Blocker, and Lionz are not compatible with the original iPad mini. It says so on their respective iTunes Preview pages:

Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 2.46.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 2.49.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 2.49.01 PM.png

Something in the first-generation iPad mini prevented the developers from making their apps available on it… perhaps the 32-bit CPU (iPad mini 2 and above have a 64-bit CPU).

11. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks Kindly - makes sense - like me, I guess it's getting old , but ....

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It doesn't work on the iPhone 5 either. Look in the app description.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443985133.614122.jpg

13. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Ok - I found one ...Adblock Mobile ( Jennifer Hernandez ) which seems to work ok so far ....

14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't think any of the new ones are compatible with your iPad. Phones, yes. This one uses VPN. A proxy. I wouldn't use it.

15. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

I did a bit of reading about the Adblock I'm trying and its use of 'vpn' .... Seems above board but not really giving me a 'warm fuzzy feeling' BUT Safari is a lot quicker not loading the plethora of ads .... If anything starts going strange on my I have bookmarked how to disable it ...

16. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

The one I'm using sets up a VPN, which worried me initially, but it hasn't slowed down the internet at all for me. I might try 1blocker as it has excellent reviews.

17. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

The 1block seems very slick on my phone . Using the Adblock Mobile on my iPad is a bit of a work around due to the compatibility issue ....

18. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I use Peace which has been removed from the AppStore. I'm suspecting he must've been paid nicely by somebody to remove it.

19. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

To you, and anyone else who uses Peace:

Be sure to collect the refund of your purchase price.

Supposedly, it happens automatically, but it won't hurt to check up on it.

20. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Yup. Already got it back.