Which Safari content blocker(s) are you using?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Rafagon, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The same content blocking architecture that Apple has implemented in iOS 9 is also available on OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

iOS content blockers are easy to find in the iOS App Store. However, their OS X counterparts are not available at the Mac App Store. But a list has been started by iMore. Visit that list here.

If you're wondering what the difference is between these new content blockers (on OS X 10.11 and above) and those that have been available for years, Rene Ritchie explains it as "The benefit to OS X content blockers is that they're precompiled so they can't track what you're doing like traditional ad blocker plugins can (and do)."

I've disabled AdBlock, and I'm trying out Wipr 1.02 right now. Let's see how much useless content it can annihilate! I'll report back in a few days.

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Conclusion: If you're using one of the "old-fashioned" ad blockers like AdBlock, keep it. The "new" ad blockers referenced in the previous post are not ready for prime time.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Here's one, but it's in beta. I'm going to take it for a test-drive.

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 9.01.29 PM.png

https://cdn.adguard.com/public/Temp/AdguardDev-2.0.21.safariextz

The developer gave the following advice: "Do not turn on more than 6 or 7 filters, this build does not use compressed filters yet so it will simply (and silently) trim the rules set to 50k if you have too many."

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

This link doesn't work on a phone.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It isn't for the phone… This is the OS X thread… :D