Which one would you pick?

• 2012 Opel/Vauxhall Astra

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 2012 Seat Leon

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
What's up, guys? I know I've probably bothered you with this crap for a while now, but I want to get a car that will last a while with me before I start thinking about another one, and that is why I'm taking so much time into seeing all the options, going there and checking them out, listing the pros and cons, comparing the specifications, etc.

I've finally narrowed down the choices to two: 2012 Opel Astra or 2012 Seat Leon.

The Astra costs $29,650 USD
The Leon costs $28,038 USD

They're both 1.6 and those are the specifications for them:

First, the Leon:

1595cc - 102/75/5600 HP/PS - 148/3800 Torque
Gearbox type: DSG
Tyres: 205/55/R16, 91V
Weight: 1225 kg
Fuel Consumption: Combined (l/100km) 6.8.. Out of town (l/100km) 5.5.. l being liter
Standard Equipment: 6 airbags, ABS & TCS, Alarm with backup horn, Immobilizer with cryptcode, Dynamic steering response, Cruise control, Climatronic air conditioning, Electric sun roof, computer on board with autonomy, radio cd+mp3+aux-in+ipod integration module+bluetooth with voice activation+6 speakers, front & rear electric windows, ambient temperature, electric adjustable headlight, fog light with cornering light, coming home function, DSG paddles in steering wheel, Leater multifunction steering wheel & Leather gear shift knob, driver and passenger seats with height adjustment, 2 cupholders in the central console, height and depth adjustable steering wheel.

I have highlighted the features I really like in the Leon that are missing in the Astra, and they mostly are what's affecting my purchasing decision at the moment. That's in addition to the fact that the Leon's engine is better than the Astra's in terms of acceleration and overall speed.

Second, the Astra:

1.6 Liter ECOTEC
115@6000 hp@rpm
155@4000 N.m@rpm
Tyres: 17" Alloy wheels
Fuel Consumption: Combined 7.1.. Ubran 5.6
Standard Equipment: 17" Alloy wheels, 6-speed A/T, Anti-lock braking system, Front & Rear power windows, Front & Side airbags, Air conditioning dual zone auto, Driver seat 4 ways adjuster, tilt & telescopic adjustable steering wheel, high mounted stop lamp, arm rest, holder eye/sunglasses, rear seat folding 40/60, Hill start assist, Electronic folding mirrors, Electronic Stability Program, Electronic parking brake, Radio CD/AUX connector, 7-speaker system, Remote control key, multi function steering wheel, front & rear fog lamps, Speed sensitive power steering, tinted glass, door handles body color, trunk & fuel filler remote release, adjustable seatbelts, board computer, central door lock, protector body shield metal, cruise control, rear spoiler

Now as you can see, the Leon is filled with more features on the inside and is faster, but the Astra looks much better both on the in and outside, in my opinion, and is 100% German while the Leon is assembled in Spain. If the Astra was the same price, or a bit lower, than the Leon, I'd have gone for it right away, but it's about $1700 USD more while it has less features and a slower engine, which is, as I said, affecting my purchasing decision at the moment.

The Opel Astra will be in a 2012 color called Waterworld Blue:

http://img.netcarshow.com/Opel-Astra_2010_1600x1200_wallpaper_44.jpg
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/4083/astrablu.gif
http://www.carsireland.ie/image_db/716086-l5111741.jpg

The Seat Leon will be in candy white:

http://seatcp.com/flash/leoncupra_colours/candy_white.jpg
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7392/leonfr1.jpg
http://images.motoring.co.uk/images...cr-fr-cd60cad5a0989712ec220f12c8889740-m2.jpg
http://img.netcarshow.com/Seat-Leon_2009_1600x1200_wallpaper_44.jpg

I don't know about you, but to me the Astra looks a tad bitter than the Leon both on the in and outside, but in the same time the performance and features definitely go to the Leon. I don't know about the driving, handling, and overall efficiency because I have not driven either one, but the Leon has the engine which is inside the Golf 6 which my friend has and likes, although he had to fix the gearbox a couple of times for some reason and it was VW's fault, and I have driven the Seat Ibiza which, I believe, has a similar suspension, handling, and driving style. A guy who was in my school has the Astra and I talked to him about it and he said it's great in everything but slow. Speed doesn't really matter much to me as it is what got me where I am today, car-less, but I don't want to be driving a turtle-like car that cannot really accelerate or speed as well as other cars in its league can.

Tell me what you think, guys. Any information is appreciated. I have created a poll which makes it easier for everybody. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Ha ha.. if that's the case, then the Astra wins, at least according to the Euro NCAP. :D

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
My vote is the Astra. No real reason. Not to familiar with either but I like the name of the Astra the best.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Astra, Opel are awesome and fun to drive. Lots of very old Opel still running around in Italy, those engines never die. And it looks hot, imagine all the Egyptian girls you could pick up on that.
Plus 155 camels power, perfect for you :D

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Astra, Opel are awesome and fun to drive. Lots of very old Opel still running around in Italy, those engines never die. And it looks hot, imagine all the Egyptian girls you could pick up on that.
Plus 155 camels power, perfect for you :D
Ah man.. don't worry about that, I can pickup girls while in a wheelchair if I wanted to. :)

Jarred

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2011
I'd go for the Seat. The difference in power and torque figures are negligible, but the torque arrives earlier in the Seat which will make for a better drive.

Taking the cars for a test drive is mandatory though, figures on paper won't tell you about how the car rides, what the weight of the steering is like, brakes etc etc etc. Of course the styling is a personal thing, you'll know already which one you like best.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I'd go for the Seat. The difference in power and torque figures are negligible, but the torque arrives earlier in the Seat which will make for a better drive.

Taking the cars for a test drive is mandatory though, figures on paper won't tell you about how the car rides, what the weight of the steering is like, brakes etc etc etc. Of course the styling is a personal thing, you'll know already which one you like best.
Thank you for your reply. The showrooms I went to did not have test-drives, but I have contacted the Seat and Opel headquarters in Egypt through their website and am waiting for their replies regarding the possibility of a test-drive. I can also test-drive my friend's Opel if that's what it takes, but I don't know anyone driving a Leon.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Tarek, I own a 2003 Astra. It's a machine! I currently have the 1.6 SXi Eco-Tech. I love my Astra.

The newer Astra is very nice indeed, they are a good all round car. Parts are cheap and easy to come by.

Get the Astra :p

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I think John likes the Astra :)

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I finally was able to reserve a test drive for this Sunday or Monday. I'm going to test the Astra and see if the engine's as bad as people say. I was surprised to see that its specifications are actually higher than my Mazda 3 which was pretty fast for a 1.6, but I'm guessing it's a weight difference sort of thing? Not sure. But if I don't like the performance in the test-drive, especially the acceleration and handling, I'll definitely go for a white Seat Leon. The only turn off about this one is that there is a new shape coming out this year, either by the end of it or by the start of 2013, which will basically kill its already bad resale value. People here don't appreciate good cars, they all want Benz or BMW or just Korean or Japanese cars if they can't afford those two.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I tested the Seat Leon yesterday morning and it was great. Compared to my Mazda, the acceleration on that car is very nice. The handling and stability are very good as well. The only issue I had with it is that when you're driving on a low speed (20 - 40km/h) you feel like the car is sort of shaking or struggling, and that's because of the DSG option. When you're driving on such a low speed, it still keeps shifting gears to the highest one possible in order to save gas, but you have the option of canceling that if you want to by shifting to the S gear which is pretty fast.

I have yet to test the Astra but I'll hopefully get to do that on Friday or Saturday. I have heard, however, that the Opel's spare parts are much more expensive than the Seat's so I'll have to check that out, too.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
The insurance company finally gave me the contract and I will receive the money by Saturday or Sunday.

I also am going to reserve the Opel Astra in a couple of hours till I receive the money so I can pay the full price and start driving! :D

I picked the Waterworld Blue color, which wasn't available till yesterday when a new shipment of them came.

Wish me luck.