Whilst starting a new thread, a bunch of "similar threads" are suggested...

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
None of which, in all honesty, have yet to prove similar to the new thread that I am trying to create... @chris

I understand the desire of eiC management to avoid the creation of duplicate or overly similar threads. And this is great for newbies! I do applaud this feature in that case. But I wish the feature were user-toggle-abble. Perhaps users who have a certain number of posts should be entitled to turning this feature off.

Seasoned eiC members will obviously know to search for similar threads prior to creating a new one. For example, today I did "my own research" prior to starting a new thread on "leaked 5S/5C pictures" and I simply added my contribution to the existing thread, rather than starting my own...

To make matters worse, the "X" to close this supposedly helpful feature has to be clicked on TWICE in order to close it.

It would be nice if seasoned users had a way to turn this new feature off.

It's nice to be able to create new content on this forum without the added distractions of machine-generated suggestions... which are much less helpful than the searches we seasoned users will manually perform ourselves prior to starting a new thread.

Thanks,

Rafagon

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I disagree. "Veterans" are just as bad concerning starting similar threads as new members. One's length of membership doesn't make one smarter in most cases or mods wouldn't have to edit thread titles, edit profanity, etc., for "old-timers."

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
It's nice to be able to create new content on this forum without the added distractions of machine-generated suggestions... which are much less helpful than the searches we seasoned users will manually perform ourselves prior to starting a new thread.
I'm sure some members search before posting, but overall it was a severe problem. I've been doing clean-up over the past few weeks and you'd be shocked at what I found. 16 hour days cleaning up older threads. In some cases, I found 15 or more posts with the same exact title. Imagine if those folks pooled resources into one thread discussing a single topic. The resulting discussion would be incredibly more resourceful to those invested in the thread and others who find our forum.

The similar threads tool works well. I will investigate the need to have to click on the 'x' twice, because that should not be happening. But in most cases, a quick glance and go is all that is necessary to start typing your topic. The results that you'll find when starting a topic should be spot-on.

These sorts of issues have a direct impact on user experience. Google, which sends a fair amount of traffic here, has been crystal clear about user experience being extremely important to the overall quality and ranking of a website.

Good for users. Good for admin. Good for the sustainability of the site. It's a win, win, win.

Give it some time, I think you might find it useful.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Okay, I will keep an open mind and give it some time. Thanks for your response, @chris !