White box/Refurbs

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
Just so everyone knows, if you do need to get your phone replaced, a small white box does NOT mean its a refurb. Tonight when I got my phone replaced, i specifically requested a NEW phone and not a refurb. And the man at the store said that it was a new phone and said he would have to tell me if it was a refurb by policy. Apple simply sends stores new phones in these white boxes specifically for replacements and warrant issues. They do this to skip costs on all the fancy packaging with the other black box, the cord, the dock, etc. Just thoght id let everyone know since ive been reading on here that white boxes = refurbed phones.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yes i went to the store in sac and that dude wouldn't tell me if it was new or refurbished, i asked him 3 times to tell me and when he wouldn't i just told him that i was leaving.....
i just want mine replaced but don't want a refurb, actually, id like to update to a 8 gig if that is possible

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yes that is true, i can see that dude telling me, yes its new get the heck out of here now....

but back to the question that i had, can i update through Apple?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
it's one thing to lead a customer to believe a phone is new when it isn't... quite another to outright lie to them when they specifically ask... I'm not saying there aren't people that would do that, though.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
jjvaldez im not sure if you can do that or not. It would probably cost you something. What did the 4 gigs cost when they first came out by the way. And i don't think he lied. I had it out with this guy on the phone. they story is in another thread called "white spot." but basically he said they cant replace phones with dead pixels until there are so many of them. i called Applecare and they said one pixel is enough for a new phone. so after multpile trips to the store and being lied to about the pixel thing i demanded a new phone. and he said that it was in fact a new phone and that he is required to tell me if it is not. and what he said did make sense about the packaging and what not.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Other than packaging, is there no other feature that distinguishes a refurb iPhone from a new one?

When an iPhone is refurbed, does its serial number change?

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
Other than packaging, is there no other feature that distinguishes a refurb iPhone from a new one?

When an iPhone is refurbed, does its serial number change?
I know with other Apple refurb stuff the number changes. I think a rm is put in front of the number if it is refurbished. For remanufactured. I don't know if this is the case with iPhones though.

katra

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
just so everyone knows....:eek:

the iPhone in the white boxes are refurbished because when they take them out of the white box, they have a little blue round sticker in the film that covers the LCD. the sticker means that it passed inspection when it got tested after it got refurbished. also if refurbished the serial # will start with a 5K....

by the way, i just got a refurbished iPhone 2 days ago...:)

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
just so everyone knows....:eek:

the iPhone in the white boxes are refurbished because when they take them out of the white box, they have a little blue round sticker in the film that covers the LCD. the sticker means that it passed inspection when it got tested after it got refurbished. also if refurbished the serial # will start with a 5K....

by the way, i just got a refurbished iPhone 2 days ago...:)

5k where?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
DOH! I read the 5th and 6th numbers, so it's not week 14, it's week 41.... which doesn't make a lot of sense, going by when I got it...
KNK, is it possible that it's the 5th and 6th digits?
My first 7 characters are 327414Y... and since release it's only been 27 weeks THIS week ( yeah I know I could probably add roughly 4-8 weeks on there, but still, it doesn't add up.)

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
DOH! I read the 5th and 6th numbers, so it's not week 14, it's week 41.... which doesn't make a lot of sense, going by when I got it...
KNK, is it possible that it's the 5th and 6th digits?
My first 7 characters are 327414Y... and since release it's only been 27 weeks THIS week ( yeah I know I could probably add roughly 4-8 weeks on there, but still, it doesn't add up.)

It is the 4th & 5th digit for sure. Mine is week 26 which is june

My info for the digits comes from meiPhones_Brill who is a very smart cookie.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
If my phone went back I would almost rather a refurbed unit. The basic reason that that I am willing to bet you that the QC on that device will differ from a new one and actually be more "complete". It is similar to returned goods in pharmaceuticals. Companies that actually do this QC the hell out of those. So I am hoping the same applies here.