White iPhone 5 home button paint?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Edge1978, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Edge1978

Edge1978 Member
    Bronze

I decided to take a cloth to my phone to wipe it off as usual and today as I was about wipe off the home button I noticed what I thought was dirt so I cleaned around the area but the "dirt" didn't move. I had my sister look at it to see what she thinks it is and she said there's some silver there like the paint on the edges of the home button is chipping away.
    I always make sure my iPhone is nowhere near any sharp objects so not sure what caused it. And I'm aware that after a while you will experience the normal wear and tear but I've only had this phone for 2 weeks. Anyone else with a white 5 experiencing this?

2. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

And your phone is new? That sounds like something you would find on a refurbished phone...maybe Apple can check it out if it was purchased there so recently if it really is home button chipped paint.

I've had iPhones for years at a time and this has never happened to me.

3. Edge1978

Edge1978 Member
    Bronze

egupuqy3.jpg

yes it's new. I uploaded a pic not sure how good it's going to turn out.

4. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I'd visit the Apple store Genius Bar and request a replacement.

5. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

This would have nothing to do with a refurbished phone if it were one. Refurbs are probably better than a new one out of the box.

6. Edge1978

Edge1978 Member
    Bronze

I'm still deciding on it. I'm worried I might get a replacement with other issues. Besides the the home button it has no other issues. I just wasn't sure if anyone else with a white 5 has experienced it.

7. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Oh ok, we'll its still a little strange your button is chipping. I've had my white 5 for over a month and no issues. It's probably a good idea to just visit Apple.

Then again if your phone is operating fine and you don't want a refurb then keep using it as normal.

8. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

The thing is if they give you a replacement it could be brand new or a refurb & you won't ever know the difference.

9. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

In my experience, Apple refurbs are often better than other OEM's new units. :)

If there is a anything about it that bothers you, bring it in.

10. kellymc krainnie

kellymc krainnie New Member

As per my observation, You have need to get rid of that black shinny paint at once and move to a dull color.

11. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

And, the same warranty or Apple care applies, so who cares.