White iPhone 5 home button paint?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Edge1978

Bronze
Feb 7, 2009
I decided to take a cloth to my phone to wipe it off as usual and today as I was about wipe off the home button I noticed what I thought was dirt so I cleaned around the area but the "dirt" didn't move. I had my sister look at it to see what she thinks it is and she said there's some silver there like the paint on the edges of the home button is chipping away.
I always make sure my iPhone is nowhere near any sharp objects so not sure what caused it. And I'm aware that after a while you will experience the normal wear and tear but I've only had this phone for 2 weeks. Anyone else with a white 5 experiencing this?

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
And your phone is new? That sounds like something you would find on a refurbished phone...maybe Apple can check it out if it was purchased there so recently if it really is home button chipped paint.

I've had iPhones for years at a time and this has never happened to me.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
And your phone is new? That sounds like something you would find on a refurbished phone...maybe Apple can check it out if it was purchased there so recently if it really is home button chipped paint.

I've had iPhones for years at a time and this has never happened to me.
This would have nothing to do with a refurbished phone if it were one. Refurbs are probably better than a new one out of the box.

Edge1978

Bronze
Feb 7, 2009
I'd visit the Apple store Genius Bar and request a replacement.
I'm still deciding on it. I'm worried I might get a replacement with other issues. Besides the the home button it has no other issues. I just wasn't sure if anyone else with a white 5 has experienced it.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Oh ok, we'll its still a little strange your button is chipping. I've had my white 5 for over a month and no issues. It's probably a good idea to just visit Apple.

Then again if your phone is operating fine and you don't want a refurb then keep using it as normal.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
In my experience, Apple refurbs are often better than other OEM's new units. :)

If there is a anything about it that bothers you, bring it in.