White iPhone Cracks

May 6, 2008
Im wondering if Apple has fixed this problem the iPhone 3g was having when it went on sale, are the Plastic iPhones still getting hairline cracks or not?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
99% of all 3G's out there do not have this problem. there was a batch that the "shells" were not cooked properly, and they were prone to stress fractures. It didn't matter if it was black or white.

yakob89

Bronze
Apr 16, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
The one I got must have been part of that batch because I just recently got mine replaced and I already am having cracks near the edges and on the top right corner. I got an genius app. tomorrow.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
99% of all 3G's out there do not have this problem. there was a batch that the "shells" were not cooked properly, and they were prone to stress fractures. It didn't matter if it was black or white.
I'd say maybe 60% of 3g's have this problem black and white.

Mine has cracks like Sun rays around the camera. A hairline crack above the sim tray on the side with the Sim removal hole as well as another developing new crack on the other side. Im guessing that piece is going to break off one day. Three tiny cracks around the Sleep Wake button. A hairline crack in the corner of a vibrate switch. A new developing crack at the bottom towards the chrome by the volume button. Cracks like Sun rays around the headphone jack.

Also the clearcoat on the sim tray is coming off.

Mine is 02.28.00 Firmware. So yeah im part of that first batch however despite cracks im not going to replace it since i'd lose that coveted 2.28.00 bootloader and my 2.2 firmware which keeps me unlocked when i travel between US, london and HK.

Hell, depending on the price of the 3Gs factory unlocked i may just get one.