White or Black iPhone?

Mikozee

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
I always said that I would get the white iPhone. However, two things recently came to my attention that's been giving me a headache.

1.) I've read reviews that the ZAGG Invisible Shield's yellowing is noticeably more faster and is [obviously] more noticeable to others. I don't want to carry around a White iPhone that looks like it existed for years. Not only would it destroy the white color, but it would look hella fugly.

2.) My friend recently had to change his iPhone because of camera problems. The Apple store said they didn't have any more White iPhones in stock so instead, they gave him a black one. He showed it to me today and I have to admit; It looks a lot better in person then the pictures on the internet.

Now I can't decide. I've always been a rebel so I always got things that others wouldn't (in this case, black is more popular so I would get the white). However, due to bad case reviews and a hands-on look at the black iPhone is making me think twice.

*Please don't post "it's your choice" or anything even close to that sentence. Obviously it's my choice in the end. I don't need you to point that out to me. I'm asking for ADVICE; Not obvious statements.

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
Mikozee,

I have the black and love it. I have used invisible shield, best skins ever, and Bodyguardz.

I have found after years of use on other products that BodyGuardz has been the best "skin" for me. I believe that it is the "truest" skin...the skin is totally clear and has no wavy lines in it as the Invisible Shield and BSE tend to get IMO.

As far as black vs white...I believe that with a skin the dirt would be very obvious. The black tends to hide the little bit of grime that may come along the edges of where the skin might be.

Just for pure aesthetics my choice would be to go for the black.

Regards,

GGGG

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, an important thing to consider is the 3G case cracking problems. You can definitely see the hairline cracks much easier on the White 3G... now i would personally prefer this, because if there IS a crack in my phone, i want to know as soon as possible, so i can go to the Apple Store for a replacement. If, however, you can live with a couple of cracks, and just want them hidden a bit (but i don't know why you would), then by all means go for the black one.

tiguy99

Bronze
Nov 28, 2007
Chicago
I contemplated this choice 7 days ago when I decided I wanted to upgrade to 3G model. The white stands out for sure. I like the way it grabs my attention. When I finally saw it in person I was happy to purchase it.

I did manage to install the beatskinever on it and it went on without a hitch. We'll see how it holds up. My old skin lasted about 8 months before I yanked it off.

I'll admit that the skin does look better new on the white iPhone. You definitely can't tell it's on but you feel it's there and for me that's all that matters

Mikozee

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
I contemplated this choice 7 days ago when I decided I wanted to upgrade to 3G model. The white stands out for sure. I like the way it grabs my attention. When I finally saw it in person I was happy to purchase it.

I did manage to install the beatskinever on it and it went on without a hitch. We'll see how it holds up. My old skin lasted about 8 months before I yanked it off.

I'll admit that the skin does look better new on the white iPhone. You definitely can't tell it's on but you feel it's there and for me that's all that matters
Alright thanks everyone.

Currently, as of now (though I haven't come to any solid conclusions yet), I'm leaning towards the white one.

Now, it just so happened that the review I was talking about happened to talk about how the BSE seemed to yellow faster. Now, I'm not sure if this is true or not, but if you could keep me updated on that skin of yours tiguy, I'd appreciate it.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
White.
I have a black one, it gets too smudgy.
Plus, I can't tell if it has cracks or not, which means weekly inspections with a direct light on it.
It's a pain in the ass to clean it.

IT'S YOUR CHOICE, haha, just messing with you.

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
Go with white, when I had gotten a 3g first, I was first considering the black but my wife convinced me to get white, I had my reservations up until I had it in my hand and from there I loved it. Hold a white one in your hand and you will know it's the one you want.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I'm a guy. I went black. I don't regret it. I know a dude that got a white one--kind of fruity if you ask me.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I went for black. I had wanted a black glossy iPhone since the announcement of the v1 though.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Funny! Before the 3G came out everyone was DEAD SET on getting the black. People said the white was for GIRLS. I only got the white because they ran out of black on iDay2.

Months later, everyone's pining for a white - in fact they are sold out and if you want a 16GB you have no choice but to get the black. :laugh2: It's funny how that all changes so quickly.

kjack05

Bronze
Oct 28, 2008
Texas
I got my phone through direct fullfilment, I originally order black, but when they called and I went to pick my phone up it was white, I was kinda mad at first and he offered to reorder it in black, but with that I would of had to wait no telling how long. I was just so happy that my phone came only a day after direct fulfilment and I was gonna have an iPhone that I just kept the white knowing it was gonna be in a case anyways. If i could do it again I stil would of kept the white, but I do sometimes wish I had a black.

Another thing, my phone just recently got the hairline cracks everyone was talking about and its been in a case almost all of its life. so this is something to think about with the white ones

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
I had an 8 gig Black iPhone (no choice obviously), and liked that it matched the front, but hated the fact that it was a HUGE fingerprint magnet.

kjack05

Bronze
Oct 28, 2008
Texas
I had an 8 gig Black iPhone (no choice obviously), and liked that it matched the front, but hated the fact that it was a HUGE fingerprint magnet.
I don't think the fingerprint thing should play much role in it, technically the screen is a fingerprint magnenet, lol

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Just curious. Does anyone else think the hairline cracking is merely more visible with the white cases versus the black ones? Seems odd since the color should be the only real difference unless they are made at different facilities or to different tolerances.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I've got a white one, the very same day I bought it I bought an iSkin protective case.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I have a white one. I'm not "fruity" and I believe the guy that came up with that has serious self confidence issues! Also, I've had it for three months, and think the yellow story is also a joke. I'm very happy I went with the white.............