White screen of death?

soccerphysio

Bronze
Apr 3, 2008
Birmingham AL via Long Island
I just attempted to download the latest upgrade to my 3G (with the SMS patch). When I returned to my computer, it said that there was an error and the upgrade could not be completed. I had to do a soft reset of my phone, but when it comes on, all I get is a white screen, and then it shuts down again. What is going on? Can anyone help?!

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
the white screen indicates stuck in dfu mode for more instructions... hold down power n home until it goes blank hold home n plug usb and try reupgradig. if that fails turn on and hold both power and home until it looks like its off keep holding home until iTunes see it. ( dfu mode ) upgrade iTunes if all fails

update : don't unplug usb for all those!

soccerphysio

Bronze
Apr 3, 2008
I tried those suggestions, but a message comes on iTunes stating that "iTunes has detected a phone in recovery mode. You must restore this phone before it can be used in iTunes." But at the top of the screen, the only tab showing is a "Summary" tab, and for 'Capacity' and 'Software Version' it says "n/a." If I hit restore, it looks as if it will not have information to restore and erase everything.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Restore it, after the restore is done it will ask you if you want to set up as a new phone or restore from a back up, choose the restore from back up option.

soccerphysio

Bronze
Apr 3, 2008
I think I am really screwed; it said that it could not be restored. What?!

All I did was try to install the upgrade; what the heck could have happened?

I guess I have a trip to the Genius Bar tomorrow.:041:crying

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
I tried those suggestions, but a message comes on iTunes stating that "iTunes has detected a phone in recovery mode. You must restore this phone before it can be used in iTunes." But at the top of the screen, the only tab showing is a "Summary" tab, and for 'Capacity' and 'Software Version' it says "n/a." If I hit restore, it looks as if it will not have information to restore and erase everything.

my mistake!
i forgot to mention those instructions are to restore, since once an update fails restore is required. ( although update is a restore )
so try the last one ( holding down home and power ) to restore. its not possible to fail if its in dfu mode if iTunes is okay.
but if all fails just reinstall iTunes and you should be okay.

been there done that...

soccerphysio

Bronze
Apr 3, 2008
my mistake!
i forgot to mention those instructions are to restore, since once an update fails restore is required. ( although update is a restore )
so try the last one ( holding down home and power ) to restore. its not possible to fail if its in dfu mode if iTunes is okay.
but if all fails just reinstall iTunes and you should be okay.

been there done that...
I appreciate your help, but it was unsuccessful. I went to my local Apple store, and they replaced the phone.

I have to say, I have had nothing but top notch customer service from the Apple store in Birmingham, AL. They worked me into the Genius schedule tonight at 8:45 despite there not being any official reservations until Tuesday. The Genius guy stayed until 9:20 to help me out, in spite of them closing at 9:00. I had a previous optical drive issue on my iMac, and that was handled flawlessly as well!:eek:k:eek:k

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
I appreciate your help, but it was unsuccessful. I went to my local Apple store, and they replaced the phone.

I have to say, I have had nothing but top notch customer service from the Apple store in Birmingham, AL. They worked me into the Genius schedule tonight at 8:45 despite there not being any official reservations until Tuesday. The Genius guy stayed until 9:20 to help me out, in spite of them closing at 9:00. I had a previous optical drive issue on my iMac, and that was handled flawlessly as well!:eek:k:eek:k
good to hear mate. enjoy your new ( hopefully perfect ) iPhone