White spot

1. kylegod

kylegod New Member
    Silver

I don't know if I'm being too anal, but I just noticed that my screen has a little white spot on it. Its only like a single pixel but its pissing me off, haha. But its a single white pixel that won't turn any other color. What do you guys think should I take it to Apple store or just stop being too picky.

2. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot
    Gold

It might just be a dead pixel. I haven't heard of anyone getting them recently, but I think Apple should cover it within the warranty, however, with only one dead pixel they might say there's nothing they can do until the problem worsens.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. kylegod

kylegod New Member
    Silver

Yeah its only one pixel, its very small. Just annoying because its a 400 dollar phone. I plan ok getting the Applecare plan so if itbgets worse I'll bring it back. I doubt they'll replace it if its only one pixel, am I right?

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm not sure, but a lot of LCD flatscreen monitor manufacturers will only replace a unit with a certain number of bad pixels or more.

6. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot
    Gold

I would just try and deal with it for the time being but if it starts to get any worse or if any other pixels start to go bad, I would get Apple to replace it for sure. I really don't know if they would replace it for just 1 pixel, which seems bad if you think about it because they're warranty the hardware and software for a year, and I would think a dead pixel would certainly qualify for a replacement.

7. kylegod

kylegod New Member
    Silver

yes i doubt only one pixel will do it. I'm gonna run it by them tomorrow anyway.

8. free2rhyme590

free2rhyme590 New Member
    Gold

lemme know what they say because i have a dead pixel on my phone too! it drives me crazy! especially when im watching a movie! and i can definitely see it on the homescreen! tell me what Apple says ok thanks:laugh2:

9. kylegod

kylegod New Member
    Silver

awesome, glad to know im not alone. its so tiny but i can notice it and its damn annoying. i just noticed it tonight while doing my occasional power off. and as it turned back on i spotted it on the all black screen

10. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

no reason not to at least ask them.

11. sl0ppyshat

sl0ppyshat Member
    Bronze

i still think Apple has yet to release a dead pixel policy on the iPhone. I know they have one for the comps. So you might be able to get it replaced; it all depends who you speak to.

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

life lesson #478.

13. kylegod

kylegod New Member
    Silver

so I went to the Apple store and apparently you need an appointment to talk to the genius bar guys. So I made it for tomorrow. But from what the Apple employee told me, dead pixels are Under warranty and they will either fix or replace the phone. They better not try giving me a refurb because there's no way I'll take it. My phone isn't even a month old and I don't want one that's old or has an old battery.

14. Optimous

Optimous New Member
    Bronze

I know what you mean they will change out for a new one. I just sent my in couse I had 1 dead pixel I know I'm picky but $400 is a lot of money and I want a dam good product. I'm actually typeing this from my loaner iPhone, and I'm on the toilet also.

15. x999x

x999x New Member
    Gold

I traded in two, yes TWO, 24" aluminum imacs for dead pixels. I had to level with the guys at the store to take the first one back. I was like "I've invested a considerable amount of money in this computer, if I can't get an exchange I'll take a refund and take my businesss to Frys who also sells this iMac."

The 2nd time I went to another BestBuy store, as well as for every subsequent exchange after that.

During that time I was alerted to an Apple policy page which clearly states that Apple will only exchange LCD devices with a large grouping of dead pixels, but not for one or a few scattered about. Their reasoning is that they have to accept these small flaws in order to keep the production costs down, otherwise they would jump significantly if there was no room for a margin of "acceptable" error.

That said, everyone I talked to that had also read the same Apple policy encouraged me to keep pushing until I got a device I was happy with.

I did, I'm happy, and so should you be.

I actually replaced 5 imacs, but that was before the "anti-freezing" firmware upgrade rectified the problem.

Anyways, do a search for LCD fix online, you should find a site that has an animating pattern that can "unstick" pixels that aren't dead. Dead pixels are black, misfiring pixels are typicall locked in a color other than black. If this is the case, you may be able to fix it on your own.

I have had good results with said web tools on stuck pixels before, my PSP and another LCD flatscreen monitor in the office. I'd say I'm about 3-5 hit and miss on this procedure.

16. free2rhyme590

free2rhyme590 New Member
    Gold

let me know if they exchange your phone yes! because if so... ima take my phone in to the nearest Apple store...

17. kylegod

kylegod New Member
    Silver

ok so my pixel is white and thereforee not dead but stuck. Any suggestions to what program I should use to fix this?

18. free2rhyme590

free2rhyme590 New Member
    Gold

mine is white too... so did Apple say they only replace dead pixel phones and not stuck pixel phones?

19. kylegod

kylegod New Member
    Silver

well I only talked to a floor employee so they weren't much help. But I've been researching and from what I've read they'll either replace it or fix it. My problem is that if they fix it they have to take it and I don't know if I can do without my phone for a week or however long it takes. So if they replace it I'm obviously gonna take it. If they have to fix it I may just put up with it. Also google search "iPhone stuck pixel fixes" or something similar. Apparently you can sometimes fix them, didn't work for me though.

20. sl0ppyshat

sl0ppyshat Member
    Bronze

they will exchange your phone with a refurb one. I know been down that alley before. Most likely they will have a refurb in stock and just switch them out. as far as a new one in concerned, most likely wont happen. sorry to say

21. free2rhyme590

free2rhyme590 New Member
    Gold

ok so i tried doing that knox stuck pixel thing... its supposed to fix stuck pixels... however, it didn't fix it... my spot is white and it says dead pixels are black... do i have a stubborn stuck pixel? lol:p